For whose are experiencing PLAYING latency issues with Windows 7!

YanKleber

Retired
This is a tip for the ones that may be experiencing playing latency problems with Windows 7.

Since some time ago I was suffering with latency problems in Windows 7, but not recording latency: PLAYING latency. It is kind of a known issue on post-XP versions where drivers that consume too much CPU resources when pulling along the system threads causes the sound driver to hickup. As a result a simple music enjoying with an MP3 player becomes an irritating experience stuffed with cracks and pops. One of these drivers is the tcpip.sys and others tied to network services.

After some research I have found that there is tons of people suffering with this out there but seems that there is not a definitive answer or solution for this problem, and ones suggest to disable such drivers. Well, I don't know about others but I cannot disable my network drivers and get disconnected every time I want to listen to some tunes on my PC (actually it is where I listen to music 100% of time nowadays, mainly when I am working and therefore when I need my network up). Anyway, this suggestion sounds like a very dirty 'solution' for me.

In an attempt to resolve this I bought more RAM for my computer as it was really low (onyly 4GB). After to raise it to 8GB the problem remains, although the extra memory helped the computer on other areas. Another thing I did and that helped some was to replace the original driver of my sound card by ASIO. In my case, since I use Winamp, I downloaded its ASIO plugin. It really helped to REDUCE the cracks and pops but they didn't gop away for good.

Anyway, among my researches I have found somewhere that some video cards may steal CPU resources and interefere with a good music playing and it was adviced to uninstall any special tool that comes with such cards. Although I don't have any of these tools it lighted up something in my head and I remembered that my W7 still was with its default configuration that makes it shows all bells and whistles in terms of visual effects.

Then I stroke flag+pause-break and clicked on 'Advanced System Settings' and then Advanced tab. The clicked onto the 'settings' button at the 'Performance' section. My first attempt was to select 'Adjust for best performance' (that unchecked all options) and it FIXED THE PROBLEM IMEDIATELY! However as Windows became extremely ugly I tried to check again ALL the options and started to uncheck one by one. I discovered that on MY SYSTEM just unchecking the three first ones was enough to take care of the issue.

So that's the tip. Try to disable some of the Visual effects and you may be good to go.

PS: Curiously, if you try some test programs such as LatencyMon it still will say that your computer has latency problems. However the cracks and pops won't be there anymore.

Hope it helps someone!

:thumbs up:

If you have an on board graphics card, it shares resources. Some will say dedicated graphics (on laptops), on desktops it is an added card. So yea, if it is on board you have to reduce the resources it shares or the load. Intel has for the last several years put into their ICs the graphics chips set, but it does use the CPU.

When looking for a system, make sure you pay attention to these things. If it is shared graphics, as stated above, the cure for that is to get rid of those nice UI features and make it look more like a Linux system :cool:

Haha! I tried all that as well and I have a graphics card. Still farts and pops.

No 2 computers are the same though are they. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

XP FTW :thumbs up:

Haha! I tried all that as well and I have a graphics card. Still farts and pops.

No 2 computers are the same though are they. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

XP FTW :thumbs up:

:eek: Cause it doesn't use that awesome Areo technology. Just a simple ugly Linux like interface :D

If you have an on board graphics card, it shares resources. Some will say dedicated graphics (on laptops), on desktops it is an added card. So yea, if it is on board you have to reduce the resources it shares or the load. Intel has for the last several years put into their ICs the graphics chips set, but it does use the CPU.

When looking for a system, make sure you pay attention to these things. If it is shared graphics, as stated above, the cure for that is to get rid of those nice UI features and make it look more like a Linux system :cool:

Yes, my computer has sound a graphic card onboard (shared). But I don't think that THIS is the problem. The issue is in W7 (and later) that doesn't manage correctly the system resources. The funny is that it happens independently of the CPU load.

When I used WXP I never had a single issue regarding to play mp3. If you look online (Google) for Windows 7 latency issues you will find tons of users complaining about the same thing. Several of them has dedicated graphic cards and external sound cards and they still keep experiencing the problem. I never considered to buy a separate video card but I confess that it passed for my head to acquire an USB sound card and thanks god I didn't do that because it wouldn't solve anything.

I loved XP and still would be using it but unfortunately I was forced to upgrade to W7 because XP was discontinued so I wouldn't have any further security updates. Also, there is several new softwares that won't run on XP anymore. Unless by this glitch in the media playing W7 is great though. I never had such a fast OS in my whole life. Eight seconds for a cold boot is really a thing.

Anyway, fortunately I got rid of the cracks and pops.

:)

:eek: Cause it doesn't use that awesome Areo technology. Just a simple ugly Linux like interface :D
Exactly. I have a 4GB Phenon Quadcore and an 80GB IDE HD trashed in one of my shelves. If the problem returns and still keep fckng my mind the ultimate solution will be to install a disconnected XP on and make it my media center. It just reminded me to peruse eBay after that cool/weird gadget that allows to share kb/mouse/mon.

:D

I have 3 W7 computers,
HP 2.7G 2core AMD.
Asus MOBO with AMD FX-6300 Black (no OB graphs. Had to buy a card!)
HP i3 Intel laptop.

Each of theses machines have run 2496 PCI cards, USB AIs...
NI KA6
Focusrite 8i6
Tascams 122 and 144
M-A fast track pro (not on the Asus)
Behringer UCA 202(!)

In no case did I experience any problems in terms of drop outs and clicking. (NB, all these PCs passed the DPCLAT latency test).

The only beef I have with W7 (in audio terms!) is that the sound system forks about with levels for low end USB audio kit and the noob must be wary to know this and set appropriate levels.

Lastly. Win 7 Ultimate can be made to run AS XP (with a dual boot option I think?) Solution? Actually I have read that W7 Home P can be made to do the same but you need a valid XP disc.

Oh! and BTW I have an XP Pro PC which goes on the net daily (and runs my printer) and gives zero problems as yet. I use (atmo) Avast anti-V software which IS an intrusive PITA compared to Ms SE but at least seems to work and is free!

Dave.

Good to hear that you are OK with your machines, Dave, good to hear!

As our mate has mentioned, each computer is different from each other. Glad to know that you was lucky with your three ones. About mine all the pops and cracks were gone. Funny is that when I put it on my machine it worked fine for a few months and just a couple weeks ago the pops and cracks started. Probably something I installed in the meantime? I don't know (and don't want to! LoL!) What matters is that everything is fine and that I am 100% happy with my listening now.

:listeningmusic:

Last edited:
Good to hear that you are OK with your machines, Dave, good to hear!

As our mate has mentioned, each computer is different from each other. Glad to know that you was lucky with your three ones. About mine all the pops and cracks were gone. Funny is that when I put it on my machine it worked fine for a few months and just a couple weeks ago the pops and cracks started. Probably something I installed in the meantime? I don't know (and don't want to! LoL!) What matters is that everything is fine and that I am 100% happy with my listening now.

:listeningmusic:

Now then! The Top Blokes say that once you have you PC system working as you want it you should make an image of the system drive. Then when it all goes Ts U you can get back to where you were.

I have never quite mastered this imaging fernakering so when I am in very deep dung I just format the HDD and start over!
My HP machines have a "Recovery" partition that puts them back to Factory Gate status. Have used that (sort of) on the big HP but not needed to so far on the lappy.

Story about the tower HP but I must put the shopping away first!

Dave.

Sure, I don't deal with this image thing also. Actually I don't trust them at all. Even the Windows restore point stuff is crap for me. One will tell that it is fine and such but the truth is that my experience with it is the worse as possible. The few times I needed to restore my Windows to a certain point it always ended saying that couldnt do the stuff so I just gave up of them for good. I am like you: when things gets a point that I cannot fix issues I go for the good old format and reinstall the whole stuff again. LoL! I just don't like to keep doing it all the time and for any reason. I don't dislike the format and install process itself because it can be done quite fastly. The major problem for me are the tweaks and small drivers, plugins and stuff that oils the whole system along our day by day usage. While I can reset my whole basic system and put it running in less than two hours it probably will take me weeks until it gets again the way I like.

Of course my computers are not cool branded ones like yours though. All of them are 'Yanksteins'.

:D

"
Of course my computers are not cool branded ones like yours though. All of them are 'Yanksteins'"
Well this Asus is a "bitsa" that I built from scratch. I have actually made an image of the hard drive (to a USB 3.0 Seagate drive) but I have not so far needed to use it.

Oh! I LOVE Restore! Saved my A more times than I can count, best thing Msoft ever put in XP IMHO.

The HP: I had it up and running for about a week then I tried out a "diagnostic boot" facility that HP include. This threw up hard drive error even tho' there was nothing wrong with the machine at all that I could see.

I sent HP support screen grabs and they said they were not sure what was going on but would send me a new hard drive! A few days later a new drive turned up complete with a set of recovery discs even tho' I had told them that I had made a set of my own.

I popped in the drive then embarked on the 1/2 days work of re-installing Windows 7 64 bits. All was fine and so I ran the diagnostic again...Same error! HP reckoned that so long as the PC was working ok there was nothing to worry about. I therefore swapped the drives again and shipped the replacement back to them.

I call that good service?

Dave.

Back