What software do I buy?

DMustaine

I'm going to try and break it down simply, but hey, night off work and I've had a few beers. Sorry for the length, but I want to give as much info as possible.

I want the "ultimate" single software suite. I know that is unreasonable, but I can dream can't I?

A bit of background: I recorded to cassette, then to 4 track, then to digital in 2001. I am out of touch badly. I have tried Reason 4, and Pro-Tools, but I'm nothing other than a novice.

Here's what I want in a prioritized list:
1. Record live audio to a click track, or the backing tracks.
2. Create highly custom and realistic drum tracks.
3. Individually mix, effect, edit, copy / paste, and modify live audo tracks.
4. use M-Audio keyboard to create things like piano, organ, and occasional custom synth.

If you need a reference point cross Pearl Jam with Sneaker Pimps.

I don't want to spend hours wasting my time doing illegal downloads of pirated software, then trying to learn it. I want an "out of the box" solution with possible support. I see there are many sub-forums here and that may help a LOT.

I just built a PC that can handle any high end software possible, so there is no issue there. I currently own: A circa 1998 Mackie 16 channel mixer, a Shure SM57, an Audio-Technica condenser microphone, a Digitech rack mount studio effect system, an Alesis rack mount compressor, a Yamaha 8 track analog tape recorder, and an old drum machine.

I don't expect to use anything other than the mixer, but want the same abilities. Before I spend the money I'd REALLY appreciate advise.

For pleasure, and reference I'd like to record something like this:
Anouk - Sacrifice: search Anouk – "Sacrifice album version" and there is a myspace link with the ID: 28327001

All synth'd up and what I'd do with WAY more acoustic drums:
ANOUK - Sacrifice (with strings): find a youtube video with ID: aMl7Lr6RLPs

OK, for a start, you equipment list doesn't include an Audio Interface - you need this to convert the audio signal to the figital realm. YOu can get a USB or Firewire connection AI, or a card that plugs into your computer itself.

Reaper is always the first recommendation around here for recording software. You can download the full version for free to try out and it's $60 to register.

Agreed. Your expectations of the software are not unreasonable at all.
I think any of the reputable names will cover your needs. Protools, Logic, Cubase, REAPER!

Getting an audio interface is the key though.

I suppose the big thing to decide is, do you want to use the mixer?
If so, and assuming it has direct outs per channel, you need an interface without mic preamps like the echo audiofire 12.

If you aren't fussed on using the mixer, the simple (and recommended) route is an interface with mic preamps.
How many simultaneous channels would you need? Eight is a good answer.

If you want a DAW that does just about everything checkout MAGIX Samplitude Pro X. Lot of money mind but the £149 cut down version is still very, very powerful.

Both are available as a 30day trial.

Dave.

Sorry I should have mentioned I have an M-Audio fast track for PC input. I'm in an apartment, so I won't be doing any multi-track live recording, I will be playing everything myself, and layering the tracks. That is why the drum machine aspect is so important as well.

Thanks for the tips so far, I'll look into them

Thank you for the suggestions, I am a bit torn.

Watching a bunch of videos I believe Addictive Drums is what I want in a drum software, but obviously it is a stand alone product. Superior Drummer looks great, but there isn't enough tutorial info that I have seen.

Since I can't play drums physically, or enviromentally this is the biggest part of my choice. Anything I record and attempt to promote needs to have realistic drums. I'm not bad with drawing, and tweaking patterns; and that is my goal. I just cn't tap them out, or midi-controller them in.

Secondary my OLD experience with Reason 4 in 30 minutes I could create a track, and have a good Viola or something behind my live guitar. in the documentation I haven't seen anything about Reaper, Protools, or Cakewalk having built in synth instruments. I could be totally wrong, but I just haven't seen it.

I am seeing this is a major undertaking, and I am begining to regret trying to do this again.

SONAR includes software synthesizers. At least the pro versions do. And there are many others you can buy or download as freeware. Go to Cakewalk's web site and find the page that compares features versus versions / prices.

--Ethan

"I haven't seen anything about Reaper, Protools, or Cakewalk having built in synth instruments."

yeah, pretty much every DAW will come with some synth or three. Plenty of free ones to download too, that work perfectly great. For more professionally sampled sounds, you'll have to spend a bit of money though. Omnisphere, Absynth and Z3ta+ are awesome synths. Or for more realistic sounds, perhaps Cinematic Strings or Symphonic Orchestras for some great string sounds.

As for drum stuff, the most simple to use, I would say would be something like battery, with a good sample library of your own. Or download some of the sample libraries meant to be used with Superior Drummer, and instead load them up with Battery. It's an easier interface, with the same sounds then. Though Superior Drummer and Addictive Drums are both not bad at all.

Never heard of Battery it this the version you are talking about?
native-instruments com/#/en/products/producer/battery-3/

The new Sonar allows a free downlod. Sonar Studio One 2. The good thing about it is that it is layed out almost exactly like Logic, so you'd be able to sit down on a Logic setup and not be lost.

Don't expect DAW software to have a great MIDI drum library, or a great synth, or a great anything except DAW-stuff.

Get a DAW and then add a drum library and whatever else you need.

Reaper $60, Addictive Drums or one of the other quality drum VSTis and you're almost there. And for cheap. And not hard to use or set up.

I spent a decade or more with Cakewalk ProAudio & loved it. I recently moved to Reaper & find it very easy to use.
I use an old drum machine (TR505), an old interface (INCA 8 I/O) and a reasonable computer.
I don't do midi synths (I cut and paste wav samples) & don't program drums in the box.
I also have fairly realistic expectations of technology and my own techicla & musical abilities.

Never heard of Battery it this the version you are talking about?
native-instruments com/#/en/products/producer/battery-3/

Yes. The whole UI is great. It comes with a few kits itself, but you can easily use any other samples, including your own with it.

Justfort!
If you download the trial of Samplitude Producer you get an optional HUGE library of sounds with it (but no, they are not any good to you after 30days if you don't bite but Samplitude is a really nice DAW.)

Dave.

Sorry for the late reply,

Thanks all for the great information. I'm going to get SONAR based on posts here, and some in-person testimonials from a local shop (NOT a chain).

I am going to post a "technical" question I'm fighting as a poor-man's substitute right now (Audacity), probably in this forum because I don't see another place for it. Until then thanks again!

Sorry for the late reply,

Thanks all for the great information. I'm going to get SONAR based on posts here, and some in-person testimonials from a local shop (NOT a chain).

I am going to post a "technical" question I'm fighting as a poor-man's substitute right now (Audacity), probably in this forum because I don't see another place for it. Until then thanks again!

Well you must go as you guts guide you, but! FCS downdload the trial of Sonar/Cakewalk and see if you can setup synths and such.

I bought X1 Essential and have given up on it.

Dave.

Back