for VOCALS ONLY-RME Babyface worth it?

Krush411

I want a good interface for recording vocals only.

I need the preamps to be really good and stability/drivers to be really good.

I know the drivers are A+ for the Babyface. How do the preamps compare to similar units?

I need to know if the price is worth it for the RME if I'm doing vocals only with it.

I'd say there are other factors at play including your mic(s) and the room you're recording in. If you haven't got those aspects sorted then spending big $ on an interface won't necessarily help the situation.

I have a UCX and I bought it because of the possibility of extremely low latency because of the architecture and the rock solid nature of the drivers. The preamps are generally regarded as relatively high quality and transaparent. They seem to work fine for me... that's about all I can tell you..

I have two good mics, a Sm7b and an MXL Genesis 2 tube mic. Room is treated pretty good-lots of bass traps throughout.

RME Babyface

About the only beef there is that some people might find the headphone amps a little underpowered but I doubt that would be a problem unless you need to "can" a drummer!

Personally, despite its undoubted quality I cannot bring myself to like such dinky, dangly kit! I want my audio gear to look the part, not like something out of a ladies handbag.

So, technically I doubt you can do better if such a compact device is what you want.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/articles/rme-babyface.htm ...try that one!

Dave.

Back