VIA Motherboard and Delta 66??

redCashion

Hi, I have a 650 TBird with a VIA KT133 motherboard, I am going to be buying a Delta 66 card within a week and am curious as to whether there are any compatibility problems. Thanks so much...

red

I HAD a Delta33 on a VIA Pro133a motherboard (Celeron500) - after weeks and weeks of system tweaks, calls to tech support, etc. I finally got my system to record without pops/clicks/skipping. Then something changed about a week later (not sure what??) and I was never again able to get my system to record properly.

The M-Audio folks told me to get a new motherboard 'cause they have had all kinds of problems with VIA chipsets and their cards. Kind of ridiculous, I think, that they don't put some type of disclaimer on the box or something to let you know of these incompatability issues.

Anyhow - I ended up getting a new motherboard (with an Intel chipset) just last week - havent' been able to set up my system yet though. My own opinion is that I wouldn't advise the Delta 66 with a VIA chipset unless you want to be frustrated. But I know that there are plenty of other people (some that post around here) that have had no problems....

WHOA!!!

Hey Pratt!
I just came across this and ordered a KK266 motherboard that incorporates the via KT133 chipset the other day. Did you try the link on M-Audio's FAQ page? They supposably had a fix there for this problem. I just tried it and it went no where. You have me second guessing my choice of a motherboards. I have a Delta 66 and plan on calling M-Audio tomorrow, do you have any other suggestions concerning compatibility issues with the Delta cards vs AMD processors?:confused:

yeah, I installed the VIA '4in1' drivers - this was one of the things that I initially did to get the card working (along with the usual set of audio workstation 'tweaks' - eg. buffers, dma, disabling cd-rom auto-notification, etc.) - after my system pooped out the second time I couldn't get anything to work (short of wiping the hard-disk and starting over, which I did not try).

Keep in mind that the processr was an Intel Celeron 500 - not an AMD chip.

Like I said before, my experience is by no mean the rule (at least from what I've read). I think that there are plenty of folks out there who have delta cards running with VIAchipsets, AMDs, etc.

The thing that kills me is that when my system was working it kicked butt. The card sounds amazing!!

By the way - here's the correct link for the drivers: http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/dr/driver.jsp

thanks

Hey Pratt,
I think I'm going to stick with what I have on order and take my chances with the via chipset. I'll be running a 1.4 Gig AMD with plenty of ram when I'm through building and tweaking. Hopefully I'll have a better experience than you did with this chipset. I'll definitely utilize that link you posted here if I run into any difficulties with my sound configuration.
I have to tell you that you responded way quicker than M-Audio, which I still haven't heard from by the way. Thanx again!

I have a VIA 133 system with a 1.2Gig AMD CPU. I occasionally get pops when recording but if I set a larger ASIO buffer they go away.

The problem that I have now is that both USB MIDI devices I have hooked to this thing seem to cause blue screens on occasion if I send lots of control messages. I haven't gone so far as to try a non USB midi interface yet but I am getting close. Somewhere I have an old SB Live! card that I can install to test my theory.

The problem is that you can't use a P4 because the P4s have lots of other issues. You also can't find a Socket A motherboard for the AMP chip that has an Intel chipset. This leaves you with a choice of an AMD chipset or a VIA chipset.

pop's in clicks?

Resizing the ASIO buffer fixed your noise eh? What kind of sound card are you running. I have a SB Live too. I'm going to try to run them it with the D66 so I can use the SB Live's midi interface before I go USB for midi. I haven't finish building my new box yet but I must say I am a little nervous about the conflicts I've been hearing about with the via chipset. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain to get everything to interface correctly. I use Sonar and it is a little buggy itself now but worked fairly decent on my 600mhz PIII. I'm hoping it will do better on the new AMD.

SB Live doesn't have ASIO drivers.

I am using a MOTU 2408 24 channel interface.

I did a bunch of research last night on getting a new motherboard. I have nailed it down to:

Asus A7M266 AMD761 $163.88
AMD Athlon 1.33GHz (266FSB) 384K Cache $166.00
PC2100 DDR SDRAM ECC 25kMB $172.01
-------
$501.89

When you put in the Live! I suggest disabling the SB16 emulator driver. It uses an IRQ, you don't need it, and for me it interfered with the MOTU card.

In fact, once you switch to another card for sound, I suggest disabling everything but the MIDI ports on the Live!.

Back