Use it or Lose it!

lhall

I have a $2,000 grant from my University for equipment. Since I have a band also, we want to start experimenting with home recording, I have been researching home recording and these forums all weekend and now I am totally confused. I want to get whatever equipment I need to produce a professional CD. I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 without a decent sound card. We have two Ovation acoustic electrics, a bass, a dobro with a pick-up, drums, and three vocalists. We play through our guitar amps and the mikes go through a Phonic Pod 620. We want to lay down tracks separately and mix them on my laptop. It appears to me that the best solution is an Echo Mona and either Cool Edit or Cakewalk software because it seems like we can just plug in with this and go. Is there anything else I would need? I'm so confused between mixers, converters, etc., etc., and I have to spend this money quick or lose it. Maybe it's better to get a sound card and other devices to go with it? How would YOU spend this money?

The basic setup is a good large diaphrapm condenser mic (LDC), a preamp, a soundcard, software, and monitors.

I'd try a TASCAM US122 since for $200 it'll give you preamp, soundcard and software, and it's USB so you won't need to do anything to your computer. But some people do have trouble setting it up. Then a RØDE NTK ($500) mic. Then maybe a pair of Event TR6 monitors, $500.

If your laptop has firewire you might consider the Presonus Firepod, $800, also includes pres and software.

You say the PC has a 'decent soundcard' but I'm guessing it's not a card made specifically for recording? I'd get something that is.

If you only need to record one or two tracks at a time you could go with something like the M Audio Audiophile 2496. If you want a couple more ins/outs and a box to sit in your desktop (rather than having the cables hanging out the back of your computer) I'd go with the M Audio delta 44. This will give you 4 tracks simultaneous recording and I'd say if you want to record a drumkit then this would be an absolute minimum.
The Delta 1010LT will give you 8 simultaneous ins/outs and will set you back $230 at sweetwater. I'd go with this, especially as you're recording drums you want plenty of inputs. This is the card I currently use.

Of course there are other soundcard manufacturers you might want to look into but I only have experience with the M Audio stuff and I can vouch for them as good products for the money. The soundcard will take care of the A/D conversion you mentioned.

Then you'll need pre amps for the mics. If you need several and you're on a budget then a mixer is probably the way to go. The Yamaha MG range are one of the good bang for the buck models out at the moment. The MG 12/4 has six preamps and costs around $200 at sweetwater. The 1010LT card I mentioned earlier has 2 preamps built in to channels 1 and 2 so the two would compliment each other well, giving you 8 channels of mic pres and soundcard inputs. The mixer will also give you headphone monitoring as well.

Monitors are important, popular budget monitors around here are the Wharfedale 8.2 diamond pros but if you do a search you'll find quite a few opinions. I think the wharfies are around $300.

Software I use is Cubase SE- $100, the ones you mentioned might be fine for your needs. Do some research and try and download some demos.

So that's $830 spent leaving you a little over $1000 to spend on mics. You'll need at least a couple of hundred for leads stands, a couple of pairs of headphones etc. but if you're in a band anyway I guess you have some of that stuff already.

Try the mic forum for ideas on the basic mics you'll need, it sounds like you have some already which you might be able to use for recording but you'll probably need more.

I'm sure if I've missed something important someone will chip in.

Back