Thread: USB Hub

crazyjman is offline Senior Member

USB Hub

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm looking to pick up a usb hub as I am running out of ports on my PC. Can anybody tell me why some require a power cord while other with the same amount of ports don't? Is one better than the other? (I'm running out of power outlets too)

boogle is offline Junior Member
    You can pull a lot more out of your wall than your computers power supply. Power strips are cheap. Depends on your boxes supply but getting a usb hub that is powered usually means that all the power being used to power your usb devices is coming from the wall not your box.

MessianicDreams is offline Throbbing Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjman
    I'm looking to pick up a usb hub as I am running out of ports on my PC. Can anybody tell me why some require a power cord while other with the same amount of ports don't? Is one better than the other? (I'm running out of power outlets too)

Try plugging 5 USB sticks, or multiple buss-powered HDs into a passive USB hub and you'll see why they make active ones
    There are 10 types of people...those who understand binary and those who don't

[url=http://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=2809743&postcount=1880]My humble home studio![/url]
    [url=www.myspace.com/messianicdreams]My Choons[/url]

[post=2568688]My DIY Broadband absorbers thread![/post]

Mbox2, MacMini (Intel), Mackie HR624, Focusrite Liquid Mix, Frontier Design AlphaTrack

SonicAlbert is offline Super-Sonic "Herb" Albert
    I prefer powered USB hubs, except the small four port hub I use with my laptop. You can string a lot of devices onto it without having to worry about power issues. Some USB devices suck up a lot of power, not leaving enough for the other units on the hub.

Sounds like you also need to buy a power strip too!

crazyjman is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies. For sure I'll get the powered hub. I didn't realize that I could get into power problems otherwise.
    As far as needing a power strip, I'm thinking I need a bigger house now too!

dgatwood is offline is out. Leave a message.
    There are two types of USB devices as far as power management goes: low-power devices and high-power devices. Low-power devices are required to take just a trickle of power. High-power devices are required to start in a low-power mode, then interact with the computer and request a larger power budget. If the computer doesn't have the power, it will reject the request, and the device will not enter high-power mode (and thus won't be accessible).

The power provided on a USB port is limited by the spec. Generally, a USB port can power at most one non-low-power device (and not always even that, depending on how high "high-power" is). You can plug multiple low-power devices in, however.

A passive hub (one that is powered by bus power) can provide power for several low-power devices (some USB keychain drives, most keyboards, most mice, and any device with its own power supply), but it generally cannot provide power for high-power devices (or one at most). Because a powered hub is not constrained by the available bus power, it can power (up to) one high-power device per port on the hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
    If you mod me down, I will only grow stronger.

Thread Information