UPS question...

thane1200

Medicated Member
Last night I finished a video editing project I've been working on the last couple of days, and while buring the project to CD the refridgerator's compressor kicked on. Immediately the burning program hiccup'd and spat out an error message; something like "drive has experienced a momentary power loss". I think I may
need a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) if my computer remains on the same circuit as the fridge. Any advice? Thanx for read'in this.

Its a good idea. Those will protect against voltage spikes/drops that computers and other electronics are very sensitive to.
get one thats rated to about 500 watts... will keep a normal system up for 20-40 mins just in case the power goes out.

good luck

I lived in a rural area for a few years and the elec service was kind of crappy. Every once in a while the power would blink off and on, and would frequently go out for hours. Got a UPS at Office Max. Completely protects from quick power blinks, and gives plenty of time to shut down the computer during longer outages.

Tim

JazzMang said:
Those will protect against voltage spikes/drops that computers and other electronics are very sensitive to.
Sorry, no - that's not completely true.

The basic UPS systems you find in Business Depot and Staples DO NOT provide any more protection against voltage drops/spikes than any basic power strip does. You need a UPS with a voltage regulator circuit for handling voltage fluctuations that is only available on the more expensive units (rack or floor-mount)...

Basic UPS's only provide basic power strip-style protection as well as battery backup time.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Sorry, no - that's not completely true.

The basic UPS systems you find in Business Depot and Staples DO NOT provide any more protection against voltage drops/spikes than any basic power strip does. You need a UPS with a voltage regulator circuit for handling voltage fluctuations that is only available on the more expensive units (rack or floor-mount)...

Basic UPS's only provide basic power strip-style protection as well as battery backup time.

Thats right. Unfortunately, he never stated where he was going to get the UPS from or which type he was going to use. I would assume that he would protect his valuble computer system with some sort of continuous or line-interactive UPS and not some walmart brand.
Remeber, there are several types of UPS's. Read up on them here.

he never stated where he was going to get the UPS from or which type he was going to use. I would assume that he would protect his valuble computer system with some sort of continuous or line-interactive UPS and not some walmart brand.
Remeber, there are several types of UPS's.

The confusion here might be due to my mention of Office Max, where I got my UPS. I had good spike/surge protection before I got the UPS, so it worked for me.

Tim

The ADC boxes we had supposedly protected and conditioned power against all forms of spikes and dropouts.

Thanx guyz for the responses, I'm currently using a PowerSentry powerestrip/transient surge suppressor that's rated to I believe 1000 Joules. If this sufficient for a computer?

I have an APC 400, similar versions can be found in Fry's for around $50 nowadays. It's saved my ass three or four times in 5 years. I'd say that's worth the $75 I spent originally.

Back