UDMA 33

Well, if you either have one hell of a fast 5400RPM drive or one hell of a slow 7200RPM drive, then yes...I guess it is possible that the performance would be similar.

Transfer rate....or let's say throughput because that's what we're concerned with...really depends on a number of factors. You won't always get 28MB/s with your 7200RPM drive.

But in most cases the 7200RPM drive will outperform the 5400RPM drive.

I know you might be thinking, "but they're both UDMA/33" or "they're both ATA/66" ... that only describes the maximum burst rate supported by the drive and controller...and with 5400 and 7200RPM drives, has little to do with sustained transfer rates.

Slackmaster 2000

Guys, what do you think about a UDMA 33/ 20418 MB/s HDD for audio recording, of course?
Will I have problem with that to handle 8 audio tracks with effects?

Good question, Slack.
I have to ask this to the person that wants to sell it.
So, that´s rpm most important?

Yeah pretty much. The faster the drive spins, the lower the seek times and the faster the transfer rate potential.

Slackmaster 2000

I think it will be able to handle 8 tracks but if I were you, I'd either sell it or use it for OS, apps and storage and buy a new/second 7200rpm drive for recording. You might outgrow that 5400rpm drive sooner than you think.

/Ola

Back