two choices, I think...

Jags

As far as I remember I've got a creative labs PCI 128 (which I notice at the moment is worth about £15), in a P3 500, 128mb ram computer which I had built from components about 2 years ago. When I record vocals by plugging a mic directly into the mic input on the soundcard a lot of interference is present on the track. It's not as noticeable when I record guitars using the same input becuase when I record those the mic level is way down low, whereas with vocals I have to put the mic level up quite high. The noise is constant and can be heard through the speakers during normal computer use (ie no music playing) when the mic volume is high. The mic volume in the volume control panel (when the wee speaker icon is double clicked) has an advanced option which lets me toggle a microphone boost setting, normal status is for it to be on. When this is turned off the noise vanishes, but vocals recorded are way too quiet and if I try to normalize the interference is still present.

OK the crux, should I get a pre-amp, or is a new soundcard the answer? When I looked at some other threads I gulped at the 'not willing to spend too much, around $400' comments, I'm a poor student:). Basically I wouldn't spend more then about $100 on a soundcard at the moment, and the same on a pre-amp if that's the answer. The cheapest option would be nice, I'm saving for a some guitar upgrades:).

Thanks for reading.

Jags

PS, I noticed a Creative Labs PCI 1024 (not the live one) on sale cheaply, is there any difference between this and what I've got?

You didn't mention what kind of microphone you're using.

The mic input on your soundcard is designed for low voltage electret microphones (e.g. computer microphones). Basically, shit microphones. The preamp built into your soundcard is also shit.

You're going to need a preamp no matter what, there's no way around it. You will run the preamp into the LINE input on the soundcard. This will improve the sound quality considerably, assuming that you're not trying to use a computer microphone. If you're trying to use a computer mic, then you also need a new microphone.

You do not *need* a new soundcard, but don't expect awesome results. Except results better than an average tape 4-track machine, but no place near semi-pro or pro levels. A big step up is something like the Delta44 which is a 4in/4out 24bit card that runs around $300. Do NOT waste your money on a new consumer grade soundcard. The SB128 is definately adequate and moving up to even the SB Live! is a big fat waste of money (when it comes to recording analog sources anyhow).

So, you need a suitable preamp. Luckily such a beast does exist in the sub-100 dollar range. Give the ART Tube MP a try. It's a pseudo tube microphone preamp with phantom power and a few little options. It's not great, but it'll get the job done for sure. And remember, you'll run the pre into the LINE input on your soundcard, circumventing the horrible built-in mic preamp.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks a lot slackmaster. Thankfully I wouldn't stoop as low as to use a computer mic for recording my music :) I have got a proper mic, although not that great. Thanks for your advice and recommendation, I'll have a look on the internet and maybe look in some music shops tomorrow for the preamp you mentioned or something similar. I'm not really looking or expecting to achieve semi-pro quality at the moment, I'm basically trying to get some good quality demos together to make it easier for future band members to get used to the music and to let people hear what I can do with close to nothing... except maybe a bit of talent?? ;)

Jags

Dang! I was about to buy an ART tube pre amp and shure sm57 with cable and mic stand thrown in from musicians friend and they wouldn't let me put my address in, they don't ship internationally!! A bargain down the plughole. Oh well, I'll have to phone round tommorrow to see if i can get it cheap in scotland.

Annoying!

Jags

Jags,

I was in exactly the same position as u a few months ago. I went from cheap mic, on board sound card, no pre-amp to AKG C-1000 mic, ART Tube and an SBLIve 1024 and the quality jumped through the roof.

Then I got an Octava MK219 which is a large condenser mic which made recording the guitar much easier as it's more sensitive than the small condenser AKG.

Then, after a while, as my ears improved, the playback quality of the SBLive really started to bug me, so I got an Audiophile 2496 soundcard which is just brilliant.

Just to let u know you're not alone and it all works out in the end.

I can reallly recommend the Octava (you can get them new for £100), though I've heard there are some issues with quality control so you need to test one before you buy. I'd go for a condenser mic rather than a dynamic if u can afford it. Try readers ads at www.sospubs.co.uk for second hand stuff, or even ad-mag if you have it up there in Glasgow, or what about Loot.

good luck
cheers

Maston

any opinions on how the preamps on the omni studio compare to the ART thing??

I'm also considering the Omni Studio. Gidge once wrote that the preamps on the Omni are pretty good. I don't know if he has compared them with an ART. Gidge?

OK, after looking all over for an ART tube, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to be easy to get one here, certainly not cheaply. Anyway, I phoned around then went out looking and eventually found a second hand Joe Meek VC3 going pretty cheap. Was that a good move and will it do the job? I also decided to treat myself and got an 2nd hand SM58 beta (I was only looking for a mic lead!;)). I get the feeling that these will improve my recordings considerably, and hopefully the meek will help my vocals shine:). Anyway, thanks for the input guys, I have plenty of ideas for future purchases now ;).

Jags

Back