Troubleshooting Help- Scarlett 2i2

thelowend

Hi

I'm facing some trouble with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. It seems to be getting reset every few seconds when I attach it to my PC. I'm using Ableton 9, Win 7-64 bit, 8 GB RAM. Plug my electric guitar- no issues with that since the output works fine on direct monitoring.

This is the troubleshooting I've tried so far, but to no avail:

1. Same issue in Audacity as well- so nothing wrong with Ableton
2. Disabled the interface as Windows sound driver
3. Updated latest drivers from Focusrite

I had some luck by reducing the buffer on the interface from 10m/s to 5m/s but the problem still continues. When I say that it's getting reset, the following happens:
1. No output- interface not recognized on Ableton
2. I need to manually go to the input preferences and set it to ASIO and then it recognizes the interface. Gets reset after 20-30 seconds again. Extremely frustrating !

Any ideas on what might be going wrong ?

Thanks !

Good morning,

Thanks for your email and sorry to hear you are experiencing some issues.

Dropouts are are often caused by DPC latency, an interrupt request by another driver/hardware combo that is preventing your PC from streaming audio in real time. To check if this is indeed the issue, Could you download the DPC latency checker from this website, then either post or email into support (supportteam@focusrite.com) a screen shot of the graph once opened for a minute or so while playing audio out at the same time? :

DPC Latency Checker (Win 7)

If this is mainly happening when recording, as opposed to playback, then please run the software while running your DAW at the same time.

Have you tried all other USB ports on your computer? Some are internally hubbed and can cause issues. Please try each one and monitor the performance of the interface.

Please ensure you have disabled power saving mode for USB devices:

In the device manager (Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager), in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section, right click each USB Root Hub, choose Properties > Power Management and untick the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.

USB Power

If using a Laptop, it could also be worth checking the general power management of your computer:
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options.
Set the Power Scheme to High Performance (if this setting is not available, click on Show additional plans first). Then click on Change plan settings. On the next page set both Turn off the display and Put the computer to sleep to Never.

Power Options

Then click Change advanced power settings. In the window that opens make sure you have the following settings:
Hard disc > Turn off hard disk after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Sleep > Sleep after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Setting = Disabled
Display > Turn off display after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Processor power management > Minimum processor state > Setting = 100%
Processor power management > Maximum processor state > Setting = 100%

Please note, not all options may be available.

It could also be worth checking for any available USB/Chipset driver updates for your motherboard.

Please let me know how you get on

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support

Thanks for the response Simon ! Really appreciate the support considering it's an independent forum. I tried what you suggested but it didn't work. However I managed to find a solution by connecting the interface to a USB 3.0 port on my PC. I'd been plugging it into USB 2.0 ports all this while.

Back