Terratec Phase88 Rack PCI problem

tommiassa

I received two Terratec Producer Phase88 Rack PCI soundcards (Terratec Phase 88 Rack FW) from a friend of mine, who had been using them on his PC without any problems. I installed the PCI cards on my PowerMac G5 running on OS X 10.5.8 and installed the driver and control panel found on Terratec's FTP server and then connected the interfaces. The control panel however says no I/O board is connected and no audio seems to go in or out. When playing something on iTunes/VLC/QuickTime, the VU meters on control panels digital mixer are moving so the card itself should be working. I'm assuming the problem is not a physical thing since the cards worked perfectly on my friends PC. Terratec went out of business in 2012 so no help from them... Any help is truly appreciated!

Hi,
What exactly do you have?
The phase 88/EWS88MT was a pci card and a breakout box combo. The latter was designed to fit in a PC CD/DVD bay.
Do you have the breakout boxes, and ribbon cables to connect them back to their corresponding pci cards?

I've got the Producer Phase88 Rack PCI (just like the one on SOS' link above but PCI, not firewire). Pardon my poor English, the breakout box is what I meant with the interface. So yes, I have the PCI cards, breakout boxes and the cables to connect those two (plus a cable to sync the two boxes). I tried taking the other PCI card off but didn't help. The fact that it says "I/O Board connected: no" on the control panel is what concerns me the most...

Here's the link to the manufacturers archive: ftp://ftp.terratec.de/Producer/PHASE/PHASE88RACK/

Kuva 1.png

It shows 8 inputs. Although I think it shows them even when power cable is not connected to the breakout box. When I plug any audio source the lights flick on the breakout box as the signal goes in, but again nothing on control panels VU meters.

Last edited:
I know it's not really the point, but does recording software see input signals? Does it recognise the 8 analog inputs?

I'm not 100% sure what I/O board is, but I'd assume it's the actual PCI card.
Have you installed the correct drivers for your OS? Does the OS recognise the card under pci devices in control panel?

Sorry...My memory of windows and terratec is pretty sketchy.

Yes, it does recognise the inputs but no signal. And I'm pretty sure the I/O Board is the breakout box, since when the pci card is not installed the control panel says 'no hardware found' and won't start. I even installed an older Mac OS (10.3) just to test if it works. Since I have 2 pci cards and 2 breakout boxes I switched both of them to make sure it's not a physical damage but with no luck...

Has anyone been using these cards on a Mac anytime?

Back