Tascam US1800 and a Firepod

Greg_L

Banned
Can I use them at the same time? I don't know about these things. Will the drivers kill each other or something? I have a Firepod that I've been happily using error free for over 8 years now, but a Tascam 1800 is on the way.

You can have both drivers installed, but unless the drivers support more than one (usually from the same manufacture), the DAWs limit to only one selected at a time.

You could have them both hooked up all inputs wired (mics, line ins etc.), select the one you want to record with, record, then for the other interface, switch over to that, record on the other one. Faster than pulling wires and such.

Example would be, record drums with Tascam with it all mic'd up, then for guitars and vocals, swithc in the DAW and use the Firepod to record guitars and vocals. Beats playing plug a hole.

Maybe someone else has better options.

There are a couple of DAW's that allow you to use them at the same time. Can't remember which ones and neither is common but probably, you don't mean actually using them at the same time. I like David's advice on wiring drums to one interface and everything else to the other. Keeps things wired up and not having plug/unplug all the time.

Oh, unless you're thinking of tracking a full band at one time. Then you wouldn't be able to use the two interfaces together.

I think after 16 channels, time to switch to PCI or something else and ADAT. Seems the only answer past 16 is something along these lines: MOTU 1248

I use Sonar and I have the Tascam US-1800 and I recently got the Avid Eleven Rack wich is also a interface. Sonar will not let me use both at the same time. But using the SPDIF out on the 11 rack, it shows up as a digital input on the Tascam. So you might be able to do something of that nature with the Firepod it it has digital outs. or vice versa. The tascam does have digital out too.

Most SPDIF are two channels only. Just FYI.

Just as further information, I have three interface drivers on my main computer (192, Presonus and Tascam) and two on my mobile laptop. On the moble unit, I use the Presonus for light two channel recording and the Tascam for the 16 channels band recording. There has not been an issue to date, just have to remember to switch them when I get into the interface.

Well that sucks balls. I was hoping to be able to run 16 inputs at once.

But it's cool. I've been thinking of getting a new computer and interface anyway. My recording machine is ten years old! And this firewire shit is outdated. But I do love my Firepod. It's been a great piece of gear for me. It's never given me one little problem.

You can run 16 at once. Mainly from the Tascam. 8 pre's, the two line ins with gain control. 4 inputs that require pre-amps, and then SPDIF that requires pre-amps and SPDIF out. I have recorded all 16 at once.

Use the Firepod outs as Inputs to the Tascam 12-14 and that leaves just two channels for SPDIF inputs. Not sure if you can assign the SPDIF on the Firepod, figure that last one out and you are golden.

Wait, hold up cuz I'm really digital tech dumb.......

I can use the Firepod as the preamp that feeds the extra inputs on the Tascam?

Like say I go 8 XLR into the 1800, and then plug more into the Firepod and from that into the Tascam?

Wait, hold up cuz I'm really digital tech dumb.......

I can use the Firepod as the preamp that feeds the extra inputs on the Tascam?

Like say I go 8 XLR into the 1800, and then plug more into the Firepod and from that into the Tascam?

If I understand the Firepod, it can act as a standalone preamp. Firepod XLRs to Firepod 1/4 outs to the Tascam 1/4 Inputs. That gets you to 14. Probably need to double check to see if I read it correctly, but that was my understanding.

If I understand the Firepod, it can act as a standalone preamp. Firepod XLRs to Firepod 1/4 outs to the Tascam 1/4 Inputs. That gets you to 14. Probably need to double check to see if I read it correctly, but that was my understanding.

Shit that would be great.

I'm getting this US-1800 as a gift from my bandmate. I helped him cover a Beatles song for his wife for christmas, and with all the recording we do as a band, I guess he felt he wanted to pay me back. It's a huge gesture on his part and I'm honestly flabbergasted that he did this. What a cool guy. I guess I'm a pretty fucking cool guy too. :D

Anyway, like I said, I love my trusty ol Firepod but I wanna get this 1800 thing going too.

I am not sure about the Firepod as a stand alone preamp. I would think that would have come up as an option for running the line inputs of the 1800 before...

IDK.

You do actually have 10 preamps in the 1800. Not sure why most will not acknowledge this, but I have many times used a XLR to 1/4" cable or adapter to inputs 9 and 10 and achieved good results with ride and HH mics. I never really used them in that way for something I expected the best sound from, but also never heard anything that would make me think that it was a bad setup or sounded fucked up. Just try it. I am sure there is some technical/impedance/ohms/whatever issue with using the line/instrument inputs that way, but it worked and sounded good to me so...well, whatever...

Another option is to run a couple of 2 channel preamps to the other line inputs of the Tascam. I have a couple sitting around that could use a home.

DM60 got one of three that I don't use anymore (the ART DPSII with Spdif out) but did not show interest in the other two. If the Firepod don't work as a standalone, hit me up. Or not.

Just giving suggestions based on my experience with the 1800. It did the job for me for quite some time. I am curious how it works for you.

In a bar after tonight's game? :D

Fuck... I wanna be.

That damn lovely daughter of mine held me and said 'it will be ok daddy'.

Then she took off her Broncos jersey and went to bed. Now I am down in my cave talking to you freaks. :)

Yeah, that was fucking sad...

How about we talk about something else? lol!

Fuck... I wanna be.

That damn lovely daughter of mine held me and said 'it will be ok daddy'.

Then she took off her Broncos jersey and went to bed. Now I am down in my cave talking to you freaks. :)

Yeah, that was fucking sad...

How about we talk about something else? lol!

Hey, I'm a Saints fan. You aint gotta tell me about being sad. :(

Back