Tascam US-800

Yes. No problems with the 1641 on the laptop used it on laptop for years. Actually the 800 fails more frequently on the desktop than the laptop.

Tried adjusting latency settings on the 800, but doesn't make any difference.
weird..
so you`ve obviously had the 1641 for a while, and its various drivers installed on both comps, then...installed the us-800 on both comps..

might wanna try wiping the laptop clean, then re installing the drivers for the us-800..
sounds like something is conflicting..

I`d like to think that most tuscam products are fairly reliable, as far as build quality..I`m sure theirs been a bad unit sent out here and there..but for the most part, I think 99% of problems people have, are not related to the unit it`s self, but rather the computor their installing it on..

I mean, why would it work perfectly on my computor which is also running on windows XP...but not your`s??
odd...

64bit ...must be it

I can`t speak as to the 64bit, as I`m running 32...but as far as the reboot thing, is that really that big of a deal?
I mean, once you set down to start recording, how often does one typically shut off their computor and reboot it anyway? plus, it`s only a matter of pulling the plug, then emediatly plugging it back in..

so if ya take the 64bit thing off the table..for $99, I don`t see whats so bad about it? heck, you could just plug it into a power strip or the like, and simply flip the switch after a reboot..which again, I don`t see why people need to be rebooting their comps anyway, unless they have some kind of unrelated computor problem causing them to have to reboot on a regular basis...
as far as that goes..for about $3, you could swing by the hardware, and pick up one of them inline switches, the kind often found on lamp cords, and just rig up an on/off switch..LOL..then it`d be about a $103 interface, with only a 64bit issue..LOL

I honestly don`t mean to sound argumentive..but if i set down to do some recording, and find my self having to reboot my comp, the least of my worries are gonna be unplugging, then plugging my us-800 back in...

EDIT:...I just noticed that BOTH/recent bad reviews, are the very first & last post of theirs on this board..not that, that means anything I guess...but...it just seams kinda odd, no??
of course maybe they were having issue`s (obviously) and were searching the net, which lead them to this board...

anyway, again, I just don`t see having to unplug then plug the unit back in after rebooting the comp, as a "major PITA"...I`ll be darned if I`d pay roughly $100/$150 more for a unit of the same capability`s, just to have an on/off switch..LOL

ohh and a big +1 on jimmy69`s post #13..
The plugging it in thing isn't a biggy....but the BSOD is major and it points to the us800pan.exe file. The freezing up my computer after it sits for about ...well that depends. Not into wasting money even 99 dollar on a device that won't perfrom as advertised. It's suppose to be compatible with 64bit. I written Tascam and have recieved no answer last day to take it back is Wednesday......so unless there's an updated driver by then Guitar Center will need to shelf it in the backroom.

Last edited:
The Tuscam 800bc has had much criticism. Guess it is time to retire the old beast for recommendation. I still am not convinced that it cannot be made to work. But I am using a dinosaur myself, and it works quite well. Maybe it is not possible to run the US-800 on W-7. Then maybe coming up with another $200 for the most important link to connecting performance to a DAW should be the issue. Not trying to be rude, but $200 is nothing if you are serious about recording. Hell, I spent at least $50 more than that this month. :)

i picked one up a few weeks ago. i am having the exact same issues. i have a 64 bit, 2.26 processor, 4g ram and it will "freeze" up. if i leave it sitting without using for about 10 min or so, my comp doesnt recognize the driver anymore and my memory is maxed out, needing a reboot. then when i reboot, i have to make sure its not plugged in first. otherwise i just have to unplug the usb and power cord, plug the usb in, followed by the power cable in that order....strange. i know thats what the new update says to do, but its just strange that tascam is ok with that. they just need to rebuild the damn driver. i never had any problems when i was using the us-144, so i know its not my setup.

A hundred bucks for 6 XLR inputs is a damn crime. If Tascam start making their products daisy chain-able, I'll buy 3 of these babies. I'm guessing it'd be nice to have 10 extra inputs :D

As for drivers and crashing soundcards, etc., you have to really do your homework before making a purchase. The interweb is filled with horror stories of paper weight soundcards and incompetent drivers. When I was buying my interface, I was looking for a Firewire express card, so I could run it on Windows if I wanted to. I came across countless posts saying it couldn't be done, drivers were crap, Presonus sucks, etc etc. But I found a list of firewire chipsets that were approved by Presonus, and read the details of every express card I found. Eventually, I found a few that matched and picked one. It works absolutely fine. I'm not saying the guys in this forum are wrong, but more often than not, it's the buyers fault. Plus I've heard Tascam customer support sucks balls, so I guess that doesn't help either. You add all that together and you get an angry recording geek on the web venting his heart out.

I have the Tascam M164UF and the USB died at the 20 month mark, still under warranty, but still off for service for 7 weeks
I have always liked it, except for the fact it wouldn't play MIDI files in Windows Media Player, or any other MIDI program that uses Windows GM sounds with XP. Same goes for the US-122 with XP. They say it works, but NOT. It did work with Vista.
I've mod my PC and upgraded to i7 2600 & Win 7/64 ... who knows what my luck will be.
latest update after 10 weeks ... parts ordered "overseas". No wonder they discontinued M164UF in less than one year. Other than issues with MIDI on XP, it was a perfect recording mixer, with meter bridge, etc

Just to add to the fire, I had a USB800 and it was very un-reliable, BSOD, freezing, major latency issues. I couldn't get a decent recording with it. BTW I'm running 64 Bit WIN7.

I ended up selling it and getting an M-Audio Ultra8R and it has worked flawlessly! The difference is night and day!

Just in case anyone is curious, I just bought a US-800 off of Musician's Friend and it works great for me. I'm on a Mac though so I can't speak for driver issues. Here's a little something I recorded, just using the first two inputs and overdubbing each part. I used various combinations of an Audio Technica 3035 and an SM57. The bass guitar was recorded direct.

And Your Bird Can Sing by stasz92 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

/shamelessplug

It starting to sound like the US800 was discontinued because Tascam couldn't/not cost effective, to make the driver work with W7 64. Best deal ever if you have another OS it seems. Keep away otherwise.

another win7-64 user here. this thing is crap on w7-64. i cannot get rid of the crackling or popping sound and not possible to play any sound lower than 576 latency smoothly. the on board Realtek sound card works fine and sound blaster card works fine. whatsup with that? just to be sure my unit is not faulty i install on my laptop and it seems to work fine. wtf. i need a fix bad. from what i read i think the 64bit w7 has issue with memory if you play movie alot.

my pc:
CPU: 3.3Ghz AMD six-core
MB: GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: 12Gig

I just ordered a US800 yesterday, to test and see if I can figure out why users are having issue with W7-64. I will be starting a thread about it once it arrives and I run it through the motions. Hoping there is a fix. Then I will be selling it here. :D

another win7-64 user here. this thing is crap on w7-64. i cannot get rid of the crackling or popping sound and not possible to play any sound lower than 576 latency smoothly. the on board Realtek sound card works fine and sound blaster card works fine. whatsup with that? just to be sure my unit is not faulty i install on my laptop and it seems to work fine. wtf. i need a fix bad. from what i read i think the 64bit w7 has issue with memory if you play movie alot.

my pc:
CPU: 3.3Ghz AMD six-core
MB: GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: 12Gig

what system is your lap top running on?

and is the desk top that it`s not working on, also your internet computor, complete with a scanner, printer, automatic updates on, camera, a thousand other task running in the background, and posibley some **** on it??

LOl/kidding..but really, hopefully jimmy will be able to get to the bottom of it all..

sorry...did`nt know the word "nrop" would be blocked out..LOL..

what system is your lap top running on?

and is the desk top that it`s not working on, also your internet computor, complete with a scanner, printer, automatic updates on, camera, a thousand other task running in the background, and posibley some **** on it??

LOl/kidding..but really, hopefully jimmy will be able to get to the bottom of it all..

sorry...did`nt know the word "nrop" would be blocked out..LOL..

Yeah, I'm curious as well if both your rigs are W7-64.

By the way, I didn't mean I would be selling the 'fix'. I will be selling the US800. Probably for $70+shipping, because I will be smoking while I test it. (just to make sure it isn't one of those smoker haters!) :D

'nrop' isn't blocked??? lol!

Yeah, I'm curious as well if both your rigs are W7-64.

By the way, I didn't mean I would be selling the 'fix'. I will be selling the US800. Probably for $70+shipping, because I will be smoking while I test it. (just to make sure it isn't one of those smoker haters!) :D

'nrop' isn't blocked??? lol!

my laptop is a Dell D620 running windows 7. so it is 32bit and my desktop is listed above. yep im running bunch of stuff but why would other sound card worked fine? what i plan to do is stick 1 and only new hard drive in the desktop, install OS and US-800 software on it then see what happen. hopefully i can get to it soon.

my laptop is a Dell D620 running windows 7. so it is 32bit and my desktop is listed above. yep im running bunch of stuff but why would other sound card worked fine? what i plan to do is stick 1 and only new hard drive in the desktop, install OS and US-800 software on it then see what happen. hopefully i can get to it soon.

Well, there could be an issue with your connection via USB. Your 'other' soundcard does not connect via USB. And it sounds like crap, so not even worth comparing.

USB 2.0 interfaces do not play well with others. Do you have an external drive running on the same USB controller? Or anything that streams data via USB? That would definitely cause your problem. Even aside from obvious things like that, I had an older Dell desktop, that the stock USB controller, would not run an interface on certain ports, and was intermittent. Pissed me off for months! I added a $16 PCIe USB 2.0 card, and never had another issue. If your Desktop has USB 3.0, then use it to run your interface exclusively. That is what I do on my recording PC now. A designated USB controller should be mandatory for a USB 2.0 interface.

Just to make a clear point here. A USB 2.0 interface, will not seamlessly share with other USB devices ran by the same controller. A mouse and keyboard will probably be fine without connection interruptions, but the interface should have its own designated controller to work efficiently. I am surprised that manufacturers do not make this clear. It just has to be, when dealing with multiple tracks via USB 2.0.

This all depends on your particular PC though. Just because it works on one, does not mean that your setup does not have it's own issues.

This is why I want to test the 800. I have a 1641 now, and had been through the ringer with issues when I first got it. Every issue that I had heard on the net, was resolved by simple setup issues. My own setup errors caused my initial problems. There are still threads about the 1641, saying that it does not work on ?OS. They are proven absolutely wrong, and should be removed. Problem is, for every correct review on the net, there is another guy who just does not know what the hell he is doing.

I will bite my tongue, and eat my words if I am wrong, but I bet the US 800 works on all platforms of Windows, as long as it is set up correctly. That is why I am taking on the challenge, and burning $20 bills. I like the taste of words! salty..... :D

well i was comparing the popping noise only. :)

anyway i don't know about separate usb controller. the main board has 8 usb 2.0/1.1 ports on the back and that's where i plug it in. there are also 2 usb3.0/2.0 ports and i plugged it there too and reinstall but it didn't work. i don't know why. i'll have to look more into this. i did pull couple things off i have hooked up to usb and leave just US800 but that didn't fix it. the main board is from GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3.

Are your 'popping' noises coming before opening a program? Meaning, are they just happening when you make the US 800 your default device in windows? Control Panel>Sound>select US 800.

Back