Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tascam US-800

Tascam US-800

Sign in to disable this ad
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this usb audio interface or if anyone owns it. I am looking for an audio interface for recording and this seems like something im looking for. The problem is I can't find reviews or anything else on this product. It's my birthday tomorrow and really trying to decide if I should take a chance and buy it, knowing nothing more than the tech specs listed online. My wife will buy it today if I can make a decision. I like that it is compact, has 6 xlr in's, phantom power if I want it, some of the other stuff comparable to other interfaces in the price range. I'm looking in the 250 range and this seems to offer what I need, I'd be upgrading from a tape 4 track. I also have a sucky gaming audio card that was ok to use for ideas but it now has so much crackle and pops that it's really unusable. Somthing happened to it I guess. I was first looking at the firepod or the tascam US-1641 but really dont want to spend 400 or more right now and honestly dont need 10 - 12 inputs so thats why im looking at the us 800.

here it is

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=485396

Any info at all on this, pros or cons would really be helpful on if I should get this or not. Thanks

bros21 is offline Newbie
    I got one and it just arrived. I recommend buying it from someone with a good return policy. I got it from woodwindandbrasswind.com - 45 day return policy. I'm trying to use it with Windows 7 64bit and it doesn't work. Probably a driver problem. I haven't talked to their support folks yet so it's too early to tell if it's junk. I tried an m-audio fastrack too and it didn't work either (that was on an XP machine). People tell me I should switch to a Mac and my problems would go away.

filthy is offline Newbie
    The Tascam 1641 isn't that much more and is a more common interface and has 8 analog inputs.

I'm going to get the 1641 in a few weeks.

johnnymegabyte is offline Force of Nature
    I got the Tascam M-164UF 16 channels / mixer
    Couldn't be happier
    Hello There, Ladies and Gentleman ARE YOU READY TO ROCK !!!

fumster is offline Registered User
    I have US-800 and at the mo, it sucks!

I'm working with a Windows XP Professional Editiion with 3.0GHz CPU and 2GB RAM but this device keeps messing with the Windows itself.
    The source of the problem is the driver file that came with US-800 and I've confirmed that with Tascam support. They also told me that
    they don't have any plans to fix it any time soon, so if you buy US-800, you'll very likely end up not using it.

Oh, one more thing about the windows driver. Because of it, you'll have to unplug US-800's power line to reboot it everytime you reboot your pc.
    Windows won't automatically recognize US-800 after a reboot. And this really sucks because you'll actually have to disconnect the power cable since
    there's no power switch on US-800.

I would suggest any1 to get 1641 instead. I'm back to using it as well and it's hell of a lot more stable.

Just dug this up cause I'm thinking about picking this thing up now that they're on sale for $100.

Can anybody speak to the device's functionality with Windows 7 now that some time has passed for Tascam to work on drivers? I'm interested to know if its worth getting for a simple starter home recording set up.

Thanks!

AL P is offline Dedicated Member
    Man, I`ve tore the internet a new butthole looking for reviews, info etc on this unit..and after reading countless reviews, threads on various message boards, post etc.. to be honest, I really do not know what to think..
    one guy says he had nothing but problems, then another guy says it worked great/perfect right off the bat..and they`d both post about the same OS and general comp specs..
    its strange....
    Some have said they believe it`s a driver issue, others have reported no driver problems, etc..

at the end of the day though, it seams as if the "majority" anyway, have had success with the unit, and it worked properly for them..

mine is on it`s way now, so hopfully I`ll know how it`s gonna work for me soon..
    I`ve already saved countess links to reviews, suggestions on "fixes", updated drivers etc..
    the way I see it is, if I do happen have a problem, rather then start looking for the answer on what it might be and how to fix it, while the unit is setting on my desk collecting dust, I`d rather already have an arsinal at my disposal to try and get it working quickly..LOL

anyway, it may take me a few before I`ll really know whats up if i do have problems, as I`m going to try and initially run it on a dirty comp (not recently wiped clean), as I have alot of work related material etc on my comp, and it would take me a while to save it all..

about the only thing I`ll be able to do rght off the bat, is shut down any and all running task that are not an absolute ust....other then that, nothing really, until I get all my junk saved, so I can wipe it..

nothing says posible problems, like trying to install a new audio interface on a internet surfing comp..LOL
    we`ll see..

Quote Originally Posted by AL P View Post
    Man, I`ve tore the internet a new butthole looking for reviews, info etc on this unit..and after reading countless reviews, threads on various message boards, post etc.. to be honest, I really do not know what to think..
    one guy says he had nothing but problems, then another guy says it worked great/perfect right off the bat..and they`d both post about the same OS and general comp specs..
    its strange....
    Some have said they believe it`s a driver issue, others have reported no driver problems, etc..

at the end of the day though, it seams as if the "majority" anyway, have had success with the unit, and it worked properly for them..

mine is on it`s way now, so hopfully I`ll know how it`s gonna work for me soon..
    I`ve already saved countess links to reviews, suggestions on "fixes", updated drivers etc..
    the way I see it is, if I do happen have a problem, rather then start looking for the answer on what it might be and how to fix it, while the unit is setting on my desk collecting dust, I`d rather already have an arsinal at my disposal to try and get it working quickly..LOL

anyway, it may take me a few before I`ll really know whats up if i do have problems, as I`m going to try and initially run it on a dirty comp (not recently wiped clean), as I have alot of work related material etc on my comp, and it would take me a while to save it all..

about the only thing I`ll be able to do rght off the bat, is shut down any and all running task that are not an absolute ust....other then that, nothing really, until I get all my junk saved, so I can wipe it..

nothing says posible problems, like trying to install a new audio interface on a internet surfing comp..LOL
    we`ll see..
    Well I think we're gonna be in the same boat man, my girlfriend just hinted that she ordered this for me for Christmas. We can try to solve any potential problems together. Sounds like you'll get yours well before I get mine, so good luck to you, keep me posted!

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    It's all going to be ok guyz. It is only a matter of setup. You are bound to hear a thousand bad review/experiences with any unit. Especially one that is that inexpensive, is going to get every Joe blo, without any experience, or a forum like this to get someone through the process, to post all kinds of flaming reviews.

I have only heard of one occasion where the unit did not work. And I still am not sure that it wasn't a user error. Or possibly a bad unit. It can happen.

Come back here if you have issues. I know I will be glad to help.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

AL P is offline Dedicated Member
    LOL...I`m hip...and thanks for the offer of help if theres problems..

now speaking of reviews..I was just browsing a music store, and ran across this "bad" review of an ampifier..
    here`s a cut and paste sentence from it...
    "Feature:
    It is a bummer that the only outs are those newer twist type cables. BUT, they are better quality in the end, although not every speaker has those connectors available. But it shouldn't be an issue with any newer speakers
    "

Aparently, he was`nt aware that "those newer twist type cables" (speakon) connectors, can be purchased witn 1/4jacks on the other end, and not only speakers with twisty type connections have to be used....LOL
    no big deal really, but I did find it funny..LOL
    Anyway, yeah, point is, ya just never know who`s writing the review...could be a complete goofball, that could`nt properly install a ciggarett butt in an ashtray..LOL

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information