Tascam US-1800 looking for opinions...

Phil Jacques

So I have been eyeing this unit for about 8 months. I wasn't happy with how my Motu limited me and how overly complex it could be so I let it go. Now that it's gone, I am ready to make a move towards something different. That something different is possibly the Tascam US-1800, but before I buy, I would like to hear from other users about their thoughts it or other options.

The big allure of the US1800 for me is the fact that it is rack mountable and fairly simple. My only real concerns are sound quality and latency issues as it is a USB based unit.

If anyone can help me out here it would be immensely appreciated!

Thanks!

Phil

Never had a single issue with the 1800 or it's predecessor the 1641. Many members here use them.

Preamps are quite clean and have 60db of gain.

Fully mixed 40+ track projects with a couple VSTi's and was able to record vocals with under 10ms of delay. Keep in mind I have a pretty damn powerful PC tho.

I have since upgraded to better but trust me, USB is not an issue. I can record 24 simultaneous tracks via USB now without problems.

Keep in mind that you will not want to share a USB controller with the interface and another device like an external hard drive. Mouse and keyboard should be ok, but best to run the Tascam from say a devoted USB3 port.

Lot of love for the 1800s here. The one problem I've heard about (but was not a problem for me) is the headphone amp may not put out enough juice. Quick work-around is a separate headphone amp. They aren't expensive.

Sure, I can provide a link, but it's not going to tell you anything about the US-1800. There are so many other variables that affect the quality of the recording before the interface is noticed....

The performance
The mics
The room it's recorded in
The skills of the mixer (me)
The monitoring environment (Room/Speakers)

but here's a link to a middle school band I recorded last year. Remember, sites like soundcloud convert the streaming audio to 128kbps MP3's. That right there is the biggest hit on recording quality....

I have a Tascam us-1800 and I am very happy with it. An updated version of the Tascam US-1800 has just been released though, the US 16/08. It has 2 more inputs and outputs. Stronger headphone amp and iPad connectivity. It might be worth checking out. I have a Tascam us-1800 and I

For what they are selling for right now, they are a very good deal. I have had a very good experience so far with the 1800.

DPS working out for you man?

Yea, sent you a message. I bought a Gator rack case with a mountable rack power strip, I have everything all setup when I go record I have it ready to go. Thanks again as this extra two inputs really helps. I will use the Art primarily for the overheads. It is a great add.

This is all excellent info, thanks a lot guys!

What does everyone use to record with it for software? How is the Cubase LE5 that comes with it?

The LE versions of Cubase are quite limited but good to get your feet wet and see if Cubase is ideal for you. Plus I believe you get $100 off the full version of Cubase when you upgrade from LE.

Many just go with Reaper.

I am a big fan of logic 9. It can probably be had quite cheap now that logic 10 is out. (logic 10 is meh IMHO)

Back