Tascam US-1641 - anyone using one ?

yep!

i have one for about a month and use it with my duo t7300 notebook on which i run reaper - on vista that is!

what can i say? i'm quite impressed! did a test recording with all 14 analouge ins @ 88.2/24 for 2 hours - guess what: not a single glitch! :) and the tascam was set on lowest latency! this is the only thing i don't feel a 100% confident about. latency. when recording bass for example i'm not sure if the quoted latency of 3 or 4ms is right because to me it feels a little more.

however all in all the tascam rocks with reaper and i would'nt let go of it!

cheers,

fretless

Cool. I am planning to use Reaper and the Sony laptop has Vista Home Premium.
I am eager for Vista SP1 before diving into the recording side of things.
Will I ever need that many inputs, probably not, but you never know.

Question: have you tried the "guitar in" ?
What about using guitar amp VST and direct monitoring ?

Question: have you tried the "guitar in" ?
What about using guitar amp VST and direct monitoring ?

in fact i already recorded guitar and bass with the guitar ins and can't find a fault so far. as i already wrote latency is one thing where i'm not yet a 100% convinced. direct monitoring while using a VST amp sim produces a small but noticeable delay. i can't really tell the difference to my "old" desktop machine (celeron d325) and its m-audio delta because the last time i used it for recording was ages ago ... i'll be tinkering with some of the settings a little more, reaper is quite new for me - but i love it already!

did i mention the 1641's metering? at first i thought "oh crap, only one led!" but believe me - you don't need more. this one led goes from flickering green over orange to red according to input level - simply great! :)

cheers,

fretless

Back