Suggest a cheap low latency USB or Firewire audio interface for my laptop?

-=Tony=-

Can anyone suggest a cheap low latency USB or Firewire audio interface for my laptop?

I am running Sonar 3 and Guitar rig and can't seem to get my latency below 20ms using the embedded audio card.

It's a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a 2.3Ghz Processor, 1GB of ram and is running Windows XP Pro.

I will just be using it to record my live performances and don't want to drop more than $150.00 or so on an audio interface.

I've been looking at the Edirol UA-1X USB Audio Interface, the M-Audio Fast Track USB Computer Recording Interface, the AudioTrak MAYA44 USB, and the M-Audio MobilePre USB.

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with any of these.

I'm looking to go ASIO (What I use on my desktop) because the performance over any other consumer grade SC is 100 fold.

Any info or advice appreciated.

Thanks!

-=Tony=-

Whether USB interfaces will work is hit or miss but often miss. Don't bother.
The M-Audio Firewire Audiphile is probably a good and affordable choice.

I have used the Tascam US-122 on a laptop for recording audio (not MIDI, but it does this as well). It claims to have "zero latency" monitoring and can be had for $169 new (http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=3628) and probably under $150 on e-bay. This device receives mixed reviews, but I have never had any problems with mine. I don't think you'll find much better for so little money (i.e. - anything in that pricerange will be hit or miss). Many recommend firewire, if you can drop a little more. If you get the US-122, scrap the bundled software immediately, as it is useless.

Back