Stuttering Problems With New PC....any suggestions?

adam_in_audio

hi y'all,

So here's my prob:

I gave my old piece of crap compaq away and decided to build my own 'supermachine' . I thought everything was cool, assembly went alright and BIOS/xp installation went by with barely a hitch. Everything was cool...except that is ..for the sound :( It seems as though anytime I play an mp3/wav etc... It will start off alright but eventually start stuttering and bittering (that weird digital noise) sometimes I can get through a whole song, other times not...It seems to be worse when I am doing other tasks, which really shouldn't be a problem since I have a decent amount of RAM.
I don't know if it'll help but here are the specs:

Pentium 4, 3.1 ghz (FSB800)
1.25 gb DDR
Geforce 5700LE agp dual graphics card
3 hard drives
St Audio DSP24 soundcard with C-Port (Never had a problem with this soundcard before, since I have used it on my previous PC...I also have an Edirol FA-101 firewire card, but I use that on my Mac setup)

I haven't begun installing my apps which for me is just Sonar 3 and Sound Forge for multitrack and editing...but I'm scared that this stuttering may carry on with those apps. I'ts really frustrating and ironic that I go and build a DAW and the only problem I have is with the sound...ya know!?
I have tried all the garden variety stuff: adjusted BIOS, reinstalled drivers...etc etc..

anyway, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

hi,
yes there is an onboard, 6 output audio chip...although I didn't install any drivers for it (since it will be superceeded by my soundcard)

the mobo is an abit IC-7 G

thanks again!!!!!!

I have a pci audio card that I use for recording, and an onboard chip that I use for listening to cd's and mp3's. I have to switch between the 2 for the different uses. I'll go into the control panel/multimedia/audio and select the appropriate playback device. I'm not sure if that's your problem but its worth a shot. Install the drivers for the onboard chip and check it out.

adam_in_audio said:
hi,
yes there is an onboard, 6 output audio chip...although I didn't install any drivers for it (since it will be superceeded by my soundcard)

the mobo is an abit IC-7 G

thanks again!!!!!!
Did you disable it in the bios?

Back