Startup Service

fenderguy4life

Almost finished with tuning my system for audio recording. I've spent many hours doing it. One question I still have not figured out is if HD Audio Background Process needs to be enabled or can be disabled in Startup. It's from Realtek Semiconductor. I use a Roland Duo-Capture EX audio interface as my input/output sound. Isn't the Realtek stuff related to onboard sound? I actually have two instances of it in startup. One is disabled, the other enabled. Not sure why that happened. While we're on the subject, how about RTFTrack, also a Realtek Semiconductor product.

Running Windows 8.1
Intel / Lenovo laptop

For my system, I disable all onboard sound in the BIOS so it doesn't even get picked up by the OS. That would be the Realtek stuff.

I don't have that option in BIOS. I did disable those sources through Control Panel sound properties. In device manager however they are enabled. I'm gonna shut them down there and see what happens. Both Intel Display Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio. Here goes.

Well, the golden answer is to disable it and see what happens but I very much doubt it'll have any effect on external/third party interfaces.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it though. It's not likely to have any noticeable impact on a modern system either way.

Well, the golden answer is to disable it and see what happens but I very much doubt it'll have any effect on external/third party interfaces.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it though. It's not likely to have any noticeable impact on a modern system either way.

Thanks. It's all disabled, but I here what you're saying. I'm still getting redlines in LatencyMon. USBPORT.SYS seems to be a problem.

Are you using your ASIO drivers and if so, there should be a buffer setting. Your buffer should be around 512, set it as low as you can, if you hear cracking then you will have to increase it. Many times, when recording, you will set it lower to reduce latency, then when mixing, if it is a problem, you will increase it to above 512.

Are you using your ASIO drivers and if so, there should be a buffer setting. Your buffer should be around 512, set it as low as you can, if you hear cracking then you will have to increase it. Many times, when recording, you will set it lower to reduce latency, then when mixing, if it is a problem, you will increase it to above 512.

I'm using the Roland ASIO driver. Buffer size defaults to 288 samples. I've managed to minimize dropouts quite a bit. Problem not only exists while recording, but when streaming Microsoft Music player, even just playing my media library music it used to happen. Thanks for the tips about recording vs mixing. Maybe I can get away with raising the buffer overall and just leave it?

I'm using the Roland ASIO driver. Buffer size defaults to 288 samples. I've managed to minimize dropouts quite a bit. Problem not only exists while recording, but when streaming Microsoft Music player, even just playing my media library music it used to happen. Thanks for the tips about recording vs mixing. Maybe I can get away with raising the buffer overall and just leave it?

Ok, you may want to do a little research. Usually in the DAW, you will select the ASIO driver. There the buffer setting will come into play. When in Media player or other non-ASIO supporting devices, then you are using Windows drivers (or hardware drivers for the OS). So we are probably not talking the same thing.

So as usual, I should have asked this:

Interface - Roland Duo-Capture EX
What is your OS -
What is your hardware specs (CPU, RAM, Hard drive size and speed
What software are you using to record (usually a DAW)

I try to make these questions simple and well, I screw up and not ask the required questions. If you can answer the above, more help can be provided.

Ok, you may want to do a little research. Usually in the DAW, you will select the ASIO driver. There the buffer setting will come into play. When in Media player or other non-ASIO supporting devices, then you are using Windows drivers (or hardware drivers for the OS). So we are probably not talking the same thing.

So as usual, I should have asked this:

Interface - Roland Duo-Capture EX
What is your OS -
What is your hardware specs (CPU, RAM, Hard drive size and speed
What software are you using to record (usually a DAW)

I try to make these questions simple and well, I screw up and not ask the required questions. If you can answer the above, more help can be provided.

What is your OS - OS is Windows 8.1
What is your hardware specs (CPU, RAM, Hard drive size and speed - Intel I7, 4G RAM, SSHD 500G + 8G, speed/not sure.
What software are you using to record (usually a DAW) - Ableton Live 9 + Cubase Elements 7

My system is setup so that general audio from Windows players is handled by my audio interface as well as my DAWs. Is that no good?

Here's something weird. I was reading documentation from Ableton and I remember reading something about how my audio buffer size should be in increments of a certain number. 256 being one of them. Thing is, like I said my Roland audio interface defaults to 288. So just now, in the control panel for the ASIO there's a box that says Use Smaller ASIO Buffer Size, then below that, ASIO Technology by Steinberg Media Technologies. So I wonder if that makes a diff. So I checked the box and am running at 192 samples.

This from Roland -
"ASIO Buffer SizeThis is the minimum buffer size that can be set by the ASIO application.
* Depending on the application you're using, there may be other buffer sizes that can be set in addition to the minimum buffer size, and the buffer size shown here might not match the actual buffer size.
For details on setting and checking the buffer size, refer to the owner's manual for your application."

Yeah, that just confuses me. Could it be that I have a buffer size conflict somewhere? I'm getting the occasional drop right now with wifi on, music playing and Cubase open, midi track armed, keyboard active.

Thanks for taking an interest. I have spent the good portion of 6 days off trying to level this issue. I've had this computer for about 2 months. Never had anything like this happen in the past 2/3 years of recording or playing audio.

I know, I'm a mess. This turned from a simple question about a service to a full on diagnostic. Sorry, I've been battling this for a while. Even with just streaming music, nothing else... I get drops. This has to be a Windows issue. I don't know, maybe it's my interface. It's not very well known. One consistent clue I have is when I get the drop, Task Manager shows a drop in CPU. At worst it was 15%. I have it down to 5%, but still it effects the system as a drop out.

Ok, let me walk through this:

Your specs are good, so no issues there. Near future, you may want to spring for more RAM, but that is not your issue right now. You HD looks to be a hybrid, part SSD and part spinning disk. Either way, HD should be fine.

So, DAW, I use Ableton so I can help with that. Cubase should be close to the same thing, so once we get Ableton working, then Cubase should fall in line. One is going to be your buffer size and the other is your sample rate. 192 is rather on the high side, I usually set my to 44/16. Try that for now (it is CD quality and will be fine, when you are going really great work, you can increase).

Also, MIDI doesn't use ASIO, so let's make sure we are using the correct terminology. ASIO is for analog capture only, since your a Fender guy, let's just record analog. MIDI is totally different.

Make sure your buffer setting on your interface is set for 512 (we can play around with it later. Sample rates are in 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024). Now Ableton has in the hardware device settings a place to do set buffer as well, however, some ASIO drivers don't allow an external calls. So you set it inside the ASIO driver, which should be starting up with your system (you may have to read on how to use the ASIO device driver). It it begins to crackle and pop, then go up to 1024, but it shouldn't at this point)

Once you read your instructions, set the ASIO driver for 512 inside the software, make sure you are recording at 44/16 sample rate. Then in Ableton, Arm a track, set it for either channel one, two or wherever you see life in a channel. Hit record and see what happens. You will get some latency, but Ableton has a monitor feature, so delay should be short.

Se where that gets you, and turn off the WIFI, that is eating a lot of your resources. Right now, get your analog recording working, then you can then work on the MIDI, but that would be another forum and has its own little quirks.

Read some of the instructions and use what I have written. Let us know how it goes.

Ok, let me walk through this:

Your specs are good, so no issues there. Near future, you may want to spring for more RAM, but that is not your issue right now. You HD looks to be a hybrid, part SSD and part spinning disk. Either way, HD should be fine.

So, DAW, I use Ableton so I can help with that. Cubase should be close to the same thing, so once we get Ableton working, then Cubase should fall in line. One is going to be your buffer size and the other is your sample rate. 192 is rather on the high side, I usually set my to 44/16. Try that for now (it is CD quality and will be fine, when you are going really great work, you can increase).

Also, MIDI doesn't use ASIO, so let's make sure we are using the correct terminology. ASIO is for analog capture only, since your a Fender guy, let's just record analog. MIDI is totally different.

Make sure your buffer setting on your interface is set for 512 (we can play around with it later. Sample rates are in 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024). Now Ableton has in the hardware device settings a place to do set buffer as well, however, some ASIO drivers don't allow an external calls. So you set it inside the ASIO driver, which should be starting up with your system (you may have to read on how to use the ASIO device driver). It it begins to crackle and pop, then go up to 1024, but it shouldn't at this point)

Once you read your instructions, set the ASIO driver for 512 inside the software, make sure you are recording at 44/16 sample rate. Then in Ableton, Arm a track, set it for either channel one, two or wherever you see life in a channel. Hit record and see what happens. You will get some latency, but Ableton has a monitor feature, so delay should be short.

Se where that gets you, and turn off the WIFI, that is eating a lot of your resources. Right now, get your analog recording working, then you can then work on the MIDI, but that would be another forum and has its own little quirks.

Read some of the instructions and use what I have written. Let us know how it goes.

I can't set the buffer to those regular sizes. My audio interface doesn't do it. The applications won't allow an "external call" either. Could this be an issue?

Some background. I've been recording fine except for the occasional drop. Never a crackle or pop. I've run the Ableton test. No issues there. Here is where there might be issues left. I've had the Default Format for Sound In/Out Properties set at 2 channel, 24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality), running in "shared mode" whatever that means. Also, I've been recording with those settings in the DAWs. I've just changed that to 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality) in all respects. Maybe that was the issue? I'm streaming music now and haven't had a drop in 10 minutes. There's usually at least a hiccup by now listening to music and being on the internet, poking about on the computer, etc. The stream is steady.

I've done every know optimization to Windows in terms of Advanced System Settings. Ableton has been more stable than Cubase. Very stable in fact. Cubase would get drops, stop recording, and scroll like it was playing. Once I looked up after about 80 bars and noticed it had stopped recording lol. Luckily it wasn't anything I'd intended on saving. Just more testing. I've since de-selected ASIO Guard. This was widely recognized as causing dropout issues as well.

In my testing, I tried turning wifi off altogether at times only to get drops on occasion. So as LatencyMon shows, wifi is a hog, but with all the optimizations I've done it's less of an impact on the overall system. I'm seeing if I can keep it on.

I usually have one midi track armed with a keyboard. I like piano. I've had good success with that. I so appreciate your help! I'm not getting any dropouts. I suspect the 24 bit sample rate was just too much for the system? Is that normal? Would I maybe need a desktop configuration for 24 bit? I've got this little laptop maxed out with a 24 inch secondary HDMI display, every USB port taken up with 4 more going to a powered hub. The audio interface uses USB for power, and MPK25 uses it too. In fact, USBPORT.SYS seems to be the only left flagging LatencyMon. But still no skips or drops!

Well, I have Cubase recording midi, streaming Music, have LatencyMon running, this page and low and behold I hear my first crackle pops. Now this is keeping the buffer at 192. So back down to 288 (or more) it will go. Just had to test that. Weird that it doesn't allow the normal buffer rates, yeah?

Whoa. I didn't appreciate there were issues/problems.
Weird thread man...:p

Anyway, check and update your system drivers. Go to the motherboard manufacturers website and make sure you're bang up to date on chipset and USB drivers.
If that's no good just remove all USB devices apart from your audio interface (it's USB right?) and see what that does.
If it fixes the issue, gradually re introduce devices and take note of what's happening.

Whoa. I didn't appreciate there were issues/problems.
Weird thread man...:p

Anyway, check and update your system drivers. Go to the motherboard manufacturers website and make sure you're bang up to date on chipset and USB drivers.
If that's no good just remove all USB devices apart from your audio interface (it's USB right?) and see what that does.
If it fixes the issue, gradually re introduce devices and take note of what's happening.

Agreed. Sorry. I've been trying to solve all this on my own lately and I guess now that I have a sympathetic ear it's all just racing out of me.

Already updated all system drivers from Microsoft, Intel and Dell.

Good idea to eliminate USB devices. I had just hooked up a printer the other and just removed that usb connection. No need to have that constantly connected.

Just recently picked up a Razer usb mouse. It has functions like glowing lights that I will switch off. No need for that.

Yeah, the audio interface is USB. Here's a stupid question. Would just having a usb cord plugged in have any effect on the port? I have a cord for my phone hanging there, ready for the phone connection.

I should have started a new thread titled something like - Mystery problem, help me throw ideas at the wall and see if they stick! lol

I honestly thought I'd licked the issue and only had a couple details to iron out, like a couple of services to disable. This has been maddening.
:eek:

Here's a stupid question. Would just having a usb cord plugged in have any effect on the port? I have a cord for my phone hanging there, ready for the phone connection.

I should have started a new thread titled something like - Mystery problem, help me throw ideas at the wall and see if they stick! lol

I honestly thought I'd licked the issue and only had a couple details to iron out, like a couple of services to disable. This has been maddening.
:eek:

Haha. No, don't worry. I just didn't see the introduction of your issues and was scratching the head for a minute. :p
A cable plugged in wont have any effect, unless it's damaged or something.

Are you still getting issues?

How about the roland drivers here. Up to date?

Thanks for taking an interest. I have spent the good portion of 6 days off trying to level this issue. I've had this computer for about 2 months. Never had anything like this happen in the past 2/3 years of recording or playing audio.

Run memtest and temporarily undo anything that's new. ;)
If, say, adding a 2nd screen roughly coincided with these issues, unplug it. (just for example)

Thank you. The Roland drivers are current. Oddly, today has been one of those unmethodical approach days and here's what I have so far after flinging things around. After changing from 24 bit 41000Hz (notice it's not 48000Hz) to 16 bit 41000 Hz I had fizzle crackle in Cubase. I've reverted everything back to 24 bit (the Roland operates at this level) and sounds are smooth again. I've also gone back to a 288 buffer which the Roland AI seems to like.

Here's where it gets a little weird. I disengaged the printer usb and mouse lights. USBSYS is not an issue anymore. The mouse is new, although I'd been having dropout issue for a while. I've optimized so much lately. Played with different virtual memory settings for a while, no page file, moved page file, removing battery energy management app, install energy app, gone through BIOS settings, advanced system settings (notably power handling), combed through both DAW app settings etc, etc.

The mouse is a gaming mouse. Not a fancy buttoned one, just has some high end specs. I guess it's pulling enough to interrupt resources with the lighted body and wheel. The body light in particular is peculiar in that it lights when moved or something like that. It goes on and off all the time.

Yes, for critical recording I WILL put the computer in airplane mode. I'm a bit stubborn on this though because I like having access while recording ideas, which aren't critical anyhow. So I will put my stubbornness aside for when I'm serious about a recording.

This place has helped me more than once out of a jam. Big thanks, Steenamaroo and DM60. Thank you for being brave enough to get involved in my mess. Again, I am sorry for being so sloppy with the thread. Maybe some of it will be useful to someone who stumbles on it.

For now, it's as good as it gets. If I wanna make a recording, glitch-free I can. That's really all that matters in the end. Not being able to push my system to it's limits and beyond, having everything running all at once.

OK, your audio settings is 48 or 44.1K. That is set on the device itself. I would set it to 44.1 for now and make sure you are capturing at 44.1 so no up conversion is required, Page 15 of the owner's manual. On page 17 make sure your device is set to computer. The Tab setting is for the IPad. Make sure your power settings on your laptop are set for high performance. Don't let it go into sleep mode, it seems to screw things up.

On the ASIO settings, I now see what you mean (page 31), higher the settings, the less dropouts, but more latency. So you will have to play with that. Go through page 31 and read through that.

Now, for a final thought, the interface should plug in directly to the laptop, not hub. If you only have two USB ports, one for the interface, the other for the hub and Other. But the interface works better when plugged directly in.

I think that really should get you stable. Let us know how it goes.

Played with different virtual memory settings for a while, no page file, moved page file.

I don't think you have enough memory to be turning off page file.
If your computer happens to run well immediately after reboot but then goes downhill after some use, then your problems could be related to page file settings, although you mentioning USB services etc kinda goes against that.
Either way, set it to system managed, or get 16gb ram and turn it off. ;)

Yes, for critical recording I WILL put the computer in airplane mode. I'm a bit stubborn on this though because I like having access while recording ideas, which aren't critical anyhow. So I will put my stubbornness aside for when I'm serious about a recording.

I'm the same. I never turn off wifi/bluetooth etc when recording. Half the time I'm on facebook while he/she is singing the same old thing......again....
You really shouldn't have to turn it off but it's always a good idea to kill everything bit by bit for troubleshooting.

Now, for a final thought, the interface should plug in directly to the laptop, not hub. If you only have two USB ports, one for the interface, the other for the hub and Other. But the interface works better when plugged directly in.

Big +1

This place has helped me more than once out of a jam. Big thanks, Steenamaroo and DM60. Thank you for being brave enough to get involved in my mess. Again, I am sorry for being so sloppy with the thread. Maybe some of it will be useful to someone who stumbles on it.
Heh. No problem. :)

For now, it's as good as it gets. If I wanna make a recording, glitch-free I can. That's really all that matters in the end. Not being able to push my system to it's limits and beyond, having everything running all at once.

That's not so bad. Glad to hear it. It'd be nice to get to the bottom of it but at least you can use your system.

Back