Which soundcard?

Vee

I'm researching which soundcard to buy for my pc based home studio.... I noticed that noone here talks about the Digital Audio Labs Card Deluxe. Any reason for that? Trying to choose between the Card Deluxe, Darla24, and perhaps the Aardvark Aark24. The Aardvark is a little pricey but it does have 8 inputs (don't really need it now, but would be nice to have if I need it in the future). Any other suggestions for my price range (ideally $300-500, definitely under $700).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx!

Geez, you guys are making it even harder for me to decide!!! Really appreciate the input though. The Gadgetlabs 824 sounds really good - anyone out there with first hand experience with this one?
Randy, let me know which one you decide on...

I've got the 8/24 and it's a fine, fine card. But I never use 8 ins. If the 424 had been available when I bought my soundcard, I wouldn've done better to go for that one. How many home recordists track more than 4 channels at one time? Not me so far.

Just be cautious about the actual quality of what you get.

The Card Deluxe is a fine sounding card. At $500, it's converters are VERY high quality.

When you start stacking on a bunch of A/D and D/A converters on a card, and selling it for less then another card that only has 2 in and 2 out, you have to wonder just how good the cheap with more I/O card's converters really are.

This may be off little issue to you. You may need more I/O capability then actual converter quality.

It is up to you how to decide. Just consider that a Apogee Rossetta goes for around $1300, and that is not even a sound card, just a 2 in 2 out A/D D/A converter with some AES/EBU I/O capability. Apogees are considered to be some of the finest sounding converters on the market.

Ed

well could any one here who allready tried the gadget labs wave 8*24,the delta 66 and the DAL card deluxe.i run a semi-pro studio and would give up the 8 tracks at a time in the wave pro if i knew that one of the other 2 exceeds RECORDING and PLAYBACK quality at 24 bit
anyone who allready seen those cards on action please let me get to an answer.
(from my readings i'm till now convinced with the wave 8*24) and willing to get it over the LOGIC AUDIO platinum 4.xx
ANY HELP PLEASE

I've been using the 8*24 for a bit now, and I'm still happy. I've heard good reviews of the converters, and I've been pleased with the results for the price.

The converters are actually on the card INSIDE the PC. Some people fear the noise generation from that setup. In a quick test, the noise floor on my setup with nothing connected to the patchbay stayed below -72dB in Sound Forge 4.5 (I've only recorded at 16-bit thus far). Measurements get rather coarse at that low level with only 16-bits (you're down at the bottom of the bit-bucket), so it's hard to be accurate. It's pretty quiet.

8 ins was a must for me. My digital 8-track was a 4-buss unit, and that became my bottle-neck when I wanted more mics on the drums or needed to transfer tracks from other sources. 4 at a time tied my hands way too much.

Realize that it's limited to 48kHz max. If you ever plan to do 96k, this card won't do it. It doesn't include the digital I/O at that price either, but the daughter-card is less than $200. There are no timing or sync bells and whistles. Just 8 decent A/D and D/A converters and MIDI in/out.

My only real gripe is that it uses a wall wart. I really prefer to avoid 'em, but the cost has to be cut somewhere.

[This message has been edited by pglewis (edited 06-26-2000).]

Hello Vee,

I'm new here. Many of us who bought the TASCAM Digital mixer TM-D1000 for $500 from muscian's friend talk about the cards for the mixer (tdif 8 I/O).You may want to consider these cards: Mixtreme 16 I/O from www.novamusik.com for $390, or two cards due out in July, TASCAM PCI 822 tdif 16 I/O plus for $370 (24bit 96khz) or Digital Audio Labs new 2496 tdif for $500 list. This will give more I/O to the great DAL line.

oneArtist

Back