Soundblaster live drives

Steve Tittle

Has anyone used the live drive or live drive 2? I see that the live drive 2 has digital optical I/O and fits into a 5 1/4" bay. Just curious as to the quality for the bucks issue.

By the way I bought a live drive to install as a beginning to my system, afterall I figured to buy Vegas Pro as my recording software and had to save somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Steve Tittle (edited 04-06-2000).]

Can you buy the live drive II in North America? Last time I checked, that option was for the UK only. It has RCA line-in inputs, optical, and SPDIF ports on the drive-bay part. (But I have heard much usenet talk about them not being true digital connections - the card resamples ALL input/output at 48k, 16bit).
If you CAN buy this in North America, please let me know - the software bundle is much better - Cubasis VST as opposed to Cakewalk 8.

Ahh, now I understand.

I didn't realise that Creative were selling the Live Drive (I and II) seperately. It doesn't come with bundled software.

I was thinking of buying the Live Platinum, which, in North America, comes with the Live Drive I, and with a ton of bundled software - Sound Forge XP, and Cakewalk 8 Gold.

The UK verison of the Platinum comes with the Live Drive II, and ships with Cubasis VST instead of Cakewalk. It still seems to be available only in the UK.

And all versions of the Live are still mostly gamer cards, only worth buying as an interim product until I can get a Seasound Solo!

Eric as far as the technical aspects of it I have no idea. I can tell if the sound quality is there or not on playback.

I have always believed in you get what you pay for and I had to go middle of the road to get started.

It looks to me as a good affordable setup to start. Not Pro by any means but a place to start

IMHO, the Live! is a good 'bang for the buck' product if you have a decent outboard converter or digital unit - (at least it was when I bought mine over a year ago.) Now you can get a much better card for a little over $100 more if you know where to look - Echo/Event and Gadget Labs products come to mind...

Back