Soundblaster Audigy - 24bit recording!!

hmmmm,

after reading the specs carefully, I notice that the 24bit recording is only for the SPDIF... for analog recording is still 16bit.

just dunno how good are the convertors..... :confused:

Yeah, I went right to the spec sheet on the Creative web site. Says that it plays audio at 24/96 but still only records 16/48. They're coming up short again. So Close...

but they are using a new Audigy processor... which is 4 times more powerful than their EMU chips.... wonder how much difference would that make?

I have a Live Platinum that I use exclusively for sound fonts when I want to pull up wavetable synthisis of a sound not on any of my modules. I see no reason for me to upgade. I don't want to spend the money to have my rack 24/96 and then funnel it through a 16 Bit interface. I'm currently recording at 20/48 from my mixer, and 24/96 through a SeaSound Solo EX. All of my "Virtual Effects" are plug ins. I was never really impressed with the onboard effects of the Sound Blaster. The effects on the Audigy may be better but you can still only get to them at 16 Bits.

the converters are 24 bit, but you can only record at 16 bit...did I read that right?....

It doesn't make much sense, but that's what the spec sheet says. You'd think that It would record digital at 24 bit, but the sheet says no. I pulled this off the site.

Max. Recording Depth 16-bit
Max. Recording Rate 48kHz
Max. Playback Depth 24-bit
Max. Playback Rate 96kHz

Maybe their using a ADC with 16/48 output and a seperate DAC running out at 24/96.

Seems like a few more pennies per board could have produced a far more valuable product, but creative is probably targeting gamers and multimedia guys, us home reocirders are just a little gravy on the side. I'll take mine plain.

Steve

Actually...if you think about it...The effects output should be 24/96. The only problem would be an input of 16/48. But ... depending on the effect , and how wet your effects mix is, it just might be worthwhile (not for an insert, but an effects send).

Just thinking again...

Steve

They are rather confusing specs:

24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of analog inputs at 48kHz sample rate

24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources at 48kHz to analog 5.1 speaker output

16-bit recording with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, and 48kHz

Supports Sony® / Philips® Digital Interface (SPDIF) format input signal of up to 24-bit/96kHz quality
I'm gonna make a guess that it does record analog at 24-bit but only at the 48kHz sampling rate. 16-bit analog recording is supported at all the rates listed above. Perhaps the reason for this is that the 24-bit ADC output is somehow routed to the S/PDIF input which makes it different and more limited than the 16-bit ADC.

I don't know for sure, though. Just a wild guess.

It's almost like they're saying that it support's 24 bit throughput at 48 khz but will only record at 16 Bit. Very unusual.

And the manner that the SPDIF format is quoted makes you wonder whether the same holds true there also. Supports 24/96, but converts to what???

Back