Some sort of low frequency interference.

e_rock

I have been using Guitar Tracks Pro 2 for a few years using my soundblaster card. I just got a new computer today and installed GTP. I sent the drum machine into the mixer, and the mixer to the soundcard. When I clicked on the record button to arm a track, I noticed that the levels jumped immediately, even though I couldn't hear a thing. The drum machine sounds fine and I can hear it clearly through my speaker. I unplugged everything from the soundcard and the levels still remain high, yet I hear nothing. I recorded 20 seconds with no inputs other than this signal. After I ran it through a spectrum analyzer, I see that there is a constant signal around 20Hz or so.

I have a new wireless keyboard & mouse and thought it might be that, but I moved them to another room and the signal didn't budge.

What could be creating this signal? Could it be the power supply? I changed power strips, but that didn't make a difference. Any advice?

I'll try to attach a picture.

Attachments

• interference.GIF
    interference.GIF
    30 KB · Views: 37
Move your soundcard as far as possible from your video display card. If possible, try different video cards if the problem persists.

The soundcard is integrated. I can't move it. I am planning on installing a Delta 66 in the next day or so. Do you think that perhaps this issue will be resolved with a different card? Thanks!

I just looked at the back on the computer again. Everything is integrated into the main board. The monitor connection is less than 2" from the soundcard input. Is it possible that their proximity is causing this problem?

are you using balanced cables?
hell....my guess is it's the soundcard itself. it's a card built on your motherboard...you can't expect these things to do wonders and not have any self noise

This is occurring with nothing even plugged into the soundcard, so the cables aren't even involved. I also recorded a sample with the Windows sound recorder and analzed that. Same signal is generated there.

I am hoping that it is the soundcard itself. I'm going to install a Delta hopefully later on this evening, and I pray that I won't have to deal with this.

Hey Altiris.

I tried both the mic in and the line in. This signal is occuring all the time, with absolutely no input into the computer. If I just arm a track it is there.

Problem Solved!!!

So it was the integrated soundcard. I pulled the old soundblaster card from my old machine and installed it in the new one temporarily until I install the Delta. Once I used that as the input, that low level freq disappeared.

Thanks for all your help, I truly appreciate it.

Back