Saffire Pro 40 - Stereo Mixes and Output Jacks.....

fatnecks

Hey everyone:

First time poster here. I'm setting up my new system and learning it at the same time. I'm using a Saffire Pro 40 and Logic. I've also got a Presonus HP60 Headphone amp.

But I'm a little uncertain about something on the Saffire and its Mix Control Software. There are (10) 1/4" output jacks, but #1 and #2 are L/R for the for the monitors, so let's call it (8) available jacks. The manual states that these jacks accept TRS or TS plugs and that you can create (8) stereo mixes or (16) mono mixes, or some combination of the two.

But it seems that to send out a stereo mix, you have to use (2) jacks (1 for L and 1 for R)..... Am I wrong about this? Since the jack accepts TRS plugs, wouldn't one think that there would be a way to send a stereo mix out with a single jack? And if this isn't possible, what good would (8) stereo mixes in the software do if I can only send out (4) of them? And why would the jacks take a TRS plug if not to send stereo audio?

Basically, I'm trying to nail down my routing scheme for tracking using the HP60. That unit allows you to bring in (2) separate stereo base mixes. Plus each listener gets a "more me" knob to boost their own instrument. The "more me" input for channel is stereo, but there's a mono switch. I'm just recording a small band, basically a trio of instruments with lead vocals. So I'm visualizing this:

Mix A (vox, guitars, bass) using jacks 3/4
Mix B (drums) using jacks 5/6
Guitar using jack 7 for "more me"
Bass using Jack 8 for "more me"
Vox using jack 9 for "more me"
Drums using jack 10 for "more me"

Nothing *needs* to run in stereo, this is just for tracking purposes. But I'm trying to get my head wrapped around what this thing will do. Can ya help me?

Thanks in advance!

You're right about the limitations. Technically it's 5, not 4 stereo mixes you can send out of the Pro 40. Outputs 1 and 2, while usually used for monitors, still take up a stereo mix in MixControl. But still, that leaves 3 stereo mixes that can't be sent directly out of the Pro 40. What I'm guessing those mixes could be sent out of is an ADAT or SPDIF interface connected to the back of the Pro 40.

The TRS outputs on the back of the unit are mono. The reason they accept TRS cables is to prevent hum, not to send a stereo signal.

Yeah, I thought about the # of stereo mixes right after I posted that. There's the monitor mix + (4) more. Makes sense. Plus the others can be sent via other physical outputs, hadn't thought about that.

I'm sure this is a very basic newbie question, but how does a 3rd conductor reduce hum? The signal is sent through the tip, I assume. The ring is ground? What is the sleeve?

Thanks for your help!

Back