Run Down Of Today's Computer Processors?

Doctor Varney

Cave dwelling Luddite
I'm afraid I stopped at knowing the difference between Pentium 1 and 2. I couldn't tell you what is inside my latest machine, except whether it is Intel or AMD and the number of cores. I know enough to know my knowledge ceases at the end of the Stone Age. I'm looking for an easy to compare list of modern processors to assist in shopping for a laptop. I see spec lists in shop windows and when it comes to the processor I have nothing to compare the names and model numbers to. To make matters worse, I currently do not possess the knowledge to compare Intel models to their equivalent in AMD.

Can anyone either list the progression of processors used in today's machines or refer me to any websites which offer beginners guides to buying a processor?

Thanks in advance

Dr. V

I'm sure people here will be able to point you the right direction, but the best (simplest) bet is probably published benchmark charts.
They give you a straight forward numerical value comparison of modern CPUS.

Here's one.
That's a mid/high range list. You can customise the view on that page yourself.

Of course this doesn't tell you about cache sizes, no of cores, thermal specs etc etc, but I think that's a good thing for a shopper.
Just be aware some of them are overclocked benchmarks.

If you see e6600 @ 3.0ghz, you're just expected to know that the retail chip was 2.4ghz.

For reference, my i5 MBP comes in at 3418 and it's more than capable for my needs. Jimmy's 3770 is about 3 times that.

Thank you, Steen. That's a good start I suppose. My friend starts talking about the amount of ghz and my eyes glaze over. I'm more of an RPM kind of man.

When people ask me about air compressors, I can advise on nearly all aspects of the machine and what to look out for in second hand deals. I figure if I can gen up on computer processors, I'll be able to make better considered buying choices in future. This technology isn't going away and I've buried my head in the sand for too long already.

Regards

Dr. V

Clock speeds, like RPM, are meaningless without more info.

I think benchmarks like the above are good because it takes all the misleading numbers out of the equation.

I mean, a core2duo mobile chip @ 1.6ghz will kill a pentium4 at 3.4ghz. It's just misleading unless you know a lot more about it.

To be fair, as long as your CPU is on the last page, or even the upper half of the mid/high page, you'll almost certainly be fine.

Last edited:
Yup benchmarks do help you make a decision...my MBP came in at around 1900 on a dual core...only just over two years old and $1100, not a lot of bang for buck...the i5 sony vaio is around $700 and hits over 3800 and flies

This will make more if a difference if youre using mostly softsynths as audio obviously takes up less recources...also remember that if youre still using 32bit software you can only utilise 4gb of Ram...so machines offering more dont really matter unless you intend on moving to the 64bit realm in the future

Tbh ive never noticed much difference between 7200 and 5400 rpm drives, though I understand why 7200 are more desirable

Back