Roland Studio Pack

steveaustin

New guy here. I've read all the past messages trying not to repeat anything so please excuse if I do. Does anyone know about the Roland Studio Pack sold at American Musical? (americanmusical.com Then search for item "ROL STUDIOPACK") It's 24bit, VM3100pro mixer w/ 20 channels, effects &...well, just about everything under the freakn' sun & moon! Was $1000.00 now $670.00. An extremely good deal! But this may exceed my needs & piss away money. Normally I never go beyond 6 tracks on my BR-8 (it's for sale by the way. contact if interested) and I'm not utilizing it. I intend to make use of my Dell 1ghz/256ram pc w/ some external recording equipment. Figure the money would go further in a pc than a recording unit. I like the idea of an external mixer as opposed to a virtual one. Maybe a sound card, software, a mixer & the best sound quality below $600.00. Also, could I record the traks then route them out to analog or digital mixer then back into the soundcard/pc for a mix down? And can a virtual mixer be controled like a real mixer (simultaneously controling faders & panners on 2 or more traks at once)?
This entire forum has been an eye opener. Thanks.

ps.How do I get a signature?

Hi Steve, I checked it out. Looks pretty cool. It seems
to have everything you need; software, digital
mixer, phantom power, soundcard, cables, etc.

The question is, is it good? I have no clue. If it
is, buy it, it looks awesome. There is no way you
could buy all that stuff seperately for under $1000.

The Emagic software will be a watered-down version
of the real thing, but it sounds like you dont
need the fancy-pants version.

I already have my setup, or else I would be checking
it out too. I have a Darla24 Card ($275) cakewalk
Pro9 deluxe ($379), midisport 2x2 interface ($79),
Spirit F1 mixer ($179), alesis quadraverb2 (had it
for years, lets say $200), and figure $100 for
cables. That comes out to almost twice as much
as the Studiopack, and your mixer will be digital,
mine is analog.

Yes, a virtual mixer can do what you described.
Good Luck, David

Roland Studiopack

I just recieved my Roland Studiopack from SweetWater Music (sweetwater.com). Installation in the PC (900mhz Pent 3, 128meg ram, 30 gig 5400rpm IDE H.D.) went very good.
The rig comes with a fast start vidio tape which really helps.
Documentation for the hardware leaves something to be desired but I am finding my way around pretty well.
The VM3100pro is awsome but it takes some learning!
Sound quality is great and the built in effects seem pretty good too.
I have only tested recording and playback but haven't done a real project yet.
I am just starting to learn E Majic's Logic RPC that comes with the package.
I am sure it will do all I need and more.

The good news Is you dont have to use the logic program that comes with it ,It is also compatable with soundforge and cakewalk or cubasis.

Keep the hard disk stand alone for recording live at the clubs if you can afford to.

i heard it has only 2 mic preamps on the xlr inputs. what do you do for the other six 1/4" inputs? you'd have to buy another mixer or a bunch of preamps. thats the only thing stopping me from buying it at this point.

Roland is old school

Since posting this thread I've gone w/ a yamaha ds2416 sound card & ax44 xpnder & a POD direct box. My boss gt3 (basially roland) can't hang w/ pod's distortions but gives a superb clean tone. And I came across a new roland vg-88 for $750 on ebay but sold it 2 weeks later due to it's thin & dry tone & just invested the money in plugins for cakewalk pa9.

Conclusion: the ds2416, cwpa9, plugin effects, pod & gt3 are a great combination. The roland/boss guys are still thinking in the box

Good luck with the dsp factory, I was kind of freaked when I saw all of the returned ones at the local mars and went for a korg d8 instead.

bluelonestar said:
i heard it has only 2 mic preamps on the xlr inputs. what do you do for the other six 1/4" inputs? you'd have to buy another mixer or a bunch of preamps. thats the only thing stopping me from buying it at this point.

well in a normal workstation circumstance you have about the same amount of xlr inputs, the $3299 yamaha 4416 only has 2 xlr inputs.. now either get transformer adapters or another mixer just for xlr preamps (not a neccesity unless you need phantom on all 8 channels).. but look at the cost of a delta 1010, logic platinum, and a mixer for preamps, now compare that to the studio pack, not a bad deal.

Good luck with the dsp factory, I was kind of freaked when I saw all of the returned ones at the local mars and went for a korg d8 instead

No problems what's so ever. Had to DL some drivers & read both manuals for CWPA9 & yamaha but I just set it 1 time & forget. Besides, it has it's own processor & effects & the AX44 xpansion. Not a bad deal for $250.00.

Back