Roland Octa-Capture with Pro-Tools 10?

phriq

Freon Productions
Hey everyone,

I was curious if anyone has any experience with the Roland Octa-Capture interface with Pro-Tools 10, Adobe Audition or just in general? I currently have an M-Audio Profire 2626, but it is firewire only and I would like to get away from firewire into USB which is slightly more available in computers. Does anyone know anything, heard anything, or can give me advice on this interface? if not, do you have any other suggestions? Please let me know if you have any questions too and I will answer them. Thanks.

I use my octocapture with Studio One 2 and it's pretty freaking clean. The pre's are very transparent and quiet. It even comes with a nice built in compressor, also quite transparent. I just love everything about it for what I do, although I tend to add a little more color (purple tracks sound the best :p ) to my tracks in the editing stage. Lots of clean gain and headroom as well.

To emphasize how clean it is, I'll mention that it is all I use with my Shure sm7b which is notorious for how much gain it needs. 50db of gain plus whatever gain setting you have on the compressor, which goes up to +24db.

Setup is as easy as it gets. It's easily recognized by every daw I've ever used it with (Studio One, Cubase, Soundforge, Adobe Audition, even trusty old Audacity).

I'd highly recommend the octocapture to anyone serious about getting a clean, uncolored sound along with tons of features and versatility :thumbs up:

Thanks wtfuhz for the info. In doing more research, that seems to be the general consenses that the pres are very clean. Sounds what I am looking for. In your using it, have you done any drum tracking or live tracking where you have used all 8 pres? If so, have you noticed any latency issues with it being only USB? Thanks again for the input.

I've used it with an acoustic session recording with about 6 of the pres at once, but not drums yet. That automatic gain set button makes things so much quicker. Sadly, my computer's processor is a piece of crap so my latency has to be left at just slightly audible levels. Looking to upgrade that, but the octocapture itself can handle very low latency if any at all. It just depends on what your computer can handle.

Thanks again for the reply. I am pretty sure I am going to get it. From everything I have read, the pres are quiet, the compressor, while not spectacular, is a nice touch, and the auto sens is an awesome. So I think it will be my choice. Will probably be about a month before I am able to sell my Profire 2626 and buy the Octa-Capture. I'll try to update the thread when I do get it to let you know what I think. Thanks again.

Back