RME Hammerfall/Presonus Digimax Combo?

mondodago

Any learned folk out there using this combo, or have comments? I'm about ready to order my hardware, and have narrowed down to the DIGI9636 card and the Digimax.

Quick summary:

Hardware: stock RYO Thunderbird, a'la ProRec
Software: W2K, Nuendo for tracking, FruityLoops, ACID and some other misc. stuff
Needs: 8 channel AD/DA, mic preamps
Budget: $3000 hardware + audio
Use: Personal songwriting, band demos, some limited local production work
Other: ability to be expanded/added to over time (mixer, ADAT)

I've heard nothing but good things about RME, especially for use with Nuendo. And while the Nuendo I/O hardware is awfully pretty, it's also hideously expensive. I was leaning towards one of the RME ADi boxes to go with the Hammerfall, but then I stumbled onto the Digimax, which isn't a lot more, but gives me more channel options, nice preamps and a limiter to boot.

I'd love any feedback.

md

Re: Q10

Read about it on their website, and even grabbed a brochure at the local Mars...the still weren't in as of last week. I haven't seen or heard many firsthand experiences. You have an opinion, j?

md

hey md,

i mentioned the aardvark because it has 8 inputs with preamps, and is an all-in-one solution.....however, i haven't heard anything first hand....it is supposed to be shipping now....i'll be looking out for reviews.....it looks to be a lot less expensive than the digimax by itself...(i think you will be able to get a q10 for $700-$800).

of course, if price isn't such an issue, no reason not to go with the digimax....

Back