Recording way too quiet on windows 7

mustaeki

I use a headset to record, what kind it is doesn't matter at all so please don't ask. Just a pink line in.

I used to use the same mic on my old PC which ran Windows XP (SOOO much better for recording than piece of shit 7) but the PC's motherboard was fried so I bought a new one which came with windows 7.

I can set my Microphone all the way up to the max for recording and it won't be anywhere near as good. I recorded with fraps in my PSX Emulator and had the game running at 1% volume and it was STILL a little louder than my voice. I used to be able to run it at 75-85% and get a good balance.

Please don't suggest to me to use mic boost. If you are experienced at all in recording you know for a fact that it absolutely destroys your voice.

Is there any way I can either turn my mic up to amplify it higher than the stupid Realtek HD Audio manager says I can, or to turn Stereo mix down for recording ? In the Realtek HD Audio manager you can go over to stereo mix and turn it down, but for recording it seems that it doesn't make a difference whether it's at 1 or at 100.

God I fucking hate windows 7.

Yes, I saw what you wrote the first time. I didn't actually suggest it, I just wondered if you tried it or just assumed.

I have noticed in the past that some cheap computer mics don't work with some cheap computer sound cards. Maybe you should try a USB headset or something. I doubt it's the operating system.

Given the equipment you're using and the application maybe you'll get better advice from a gaming site.

I feel as if Stereo mix on XP and Stereo Mix on Win7 are different
This is the main Window for video recording in Fraps
FrapsMainThing.png

I've recorded in Multichannel before (Where one was Mic and one was Stereo mix/Game audio) and I could edit both channels in Sony Vegas, now that would fix my problem. But I can't do that anymore in Sony Vegas I don't think (Even when recorded in Multichannel)

I figured it out, somewhat. I turned fraps on to NOT record my microphone, only my Stereo Mix. Then I configured my Microphone to have it's Playback at max, and for the playback to come out of my Headphones. So it records my microphone's Playback as part of Stereo Mix. Sort of a makeshift way to fix the problem, but the audio levels are balanced and it works.

Back