recording soft/hardware questions

bendplucker

I will probably go with a usb interface since I will be woking on a laptop only. Is there a recording software that has drumtracks(drum creation) and guitar effects (with amp modeler). $400-500 is my budget including the usb interface. 8 tracks is probably the max I would ever need. I am currently using a tascam 4track tape, with alesis drum machine and mic'd guitar and bass(sometimes direct into the 4 track). I would like to go the computer recording route, but I could not find the software Im looking for. Any suggestions for the usb interface and software?

bendplucker said:
anyone have any answers for me?

MBox and Protools LE (included) comes with Amplitube LE and Sampletank SE. Amplitube does ampsims and Sampletank has a few different drumkits. It'll do up to 32 tracks, but Mbox can only record 2 tracks at a time. Mbox runs off of a USB bus power too, although I've had issues with USB power on laptops not providing the current to run Phantom power.

bendplucker said:
$400-500 is my budget including the usb interface. 8 tracks is probably the max I would ever need.
I use and recommend a combination of the Tascam US-122 and Tracktion software. Both of these together will set you back less than $300.

You can use as few as the eight tracks that Tracktion defaults to or as many as your computer can handle -- you might think now that you won't need more than eight, but I predict that it won't be too long before you join the 'as many tracks as possible' club.

As far as your guitar needs go, you can plug straight in to the Tascam USB interface and use free plugin effects and free soft synths, both available here.

Back