Recording music from a videotape

Trenna

I would like to record the stereo sound from a video tape to my computer and then on to a CD. Can I run the sound directly from the back of the VCR using plugs to put it into the 1/8" line in on my computer for capture, or should I go through my stereo amplifier? Will it make a difference? Thanks,

you probably have to run it through your stereo. If I'm not mistaken, VCR out's are not line level, so they need to be amplified.

ametth

If your VCR is a "Hi-Fi" capable VCR, it has stereo line level outs via RCA jacks. Go direct from here to the PC's line in.
If it's not Hi-Fi it'll sound pretty bad coming out of the headphone outs on your TV.

I would follow the route of running to a home stereo preamp first. Most video players have a very annoying 16KHz tone on the audio that I believe gets filtered out if you run to the Video In on the preamp.

Ed

Thanks everyone!

Good information about HiFi VCR but guess it won't hurt to run though the Amplifier, just means running more line because it isn't as easy to move as my vcr <G>

Trenna

My receiver would just pass along any annoying tones... :)
And "The cable's not long enough excuse" works for me! Running it through your receiver shouldn't hurt it that bad if that component isn't really trashy.

Taking sound through my stereo amplifier worked fine except that I really had to lower the volume on my computer to almost nothing when recording to not clip all the sound.

Does that mean that my amplifier is putting out too strong of a signal? Any ideas on how to tone down the signal coming out of the amplifier to make it more acceptable to the computer?

Thanks

Howdy,
With the results that you just gave, Chances are you only need to plug into the line input of your sound card and adjust the level of your input. Most times as not with the newer VCR's you don't get any noise.
But if you do then cue the tape and shut off the TV the noise just may go away.

Hope this helps.

GRIZ

Back