Recording more then 2 24 bit tracks to computer DAW simultaniously? Firewire only?

boldandfunny

Hi
Most USB audio interfaces can only record 2 (mono) tracks to a computer at a time.
There is one which can do 4 16 bit tracks via USB but as far as I can see two 24 bit tracks seems to be maximum for USB? Is this correct?

Firewire interfaces do not seem to have this limit.
For example Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 seems to be able to record 6 separate mono tracks at the same time?

So am I right to assume that if I want say voice mic, stereo guitar and stereo keyboard recorded simultaneously as separate 5 digital channels (tracks) into a DAW I have to use a Firewire interface like FocusRite 14?

Note that I do understand that I can record 2 channels then another 2 channels (play along) etc and get to any mumber of channels this way. Want I want to be able to do though is to record 3-6 separate channels (tracks) at the same time (a band of 3-4 people live) but have ability to apply effects to each track independently (seems like a good idea?)

Question 2:
As firewire seems to be hit and miss on Windows what would be my other option for hardware interface - DAT? Can I have a DAT interface on a Intel laptop? What are cheaper good combinatons?

Or is it actually easier to go with desktop card. RME HDSPe AIO has 38 channels for example - too expensive for me, but are there cheaper options? After all a small factor PC is almost as portable as a laptop. Or a laptop with a PCI express card?

Basically I am asking for some reasonably priced combinations to record say 4-6 24 bit separate tracks into a DAW

Thanks!

Last edited:
That is only true for USB 1.0 interfaces. Can you even find one anymore?

USB 2.0 can easily do 16 tracks simultaneously. Do it every day. USB 3.0 will likely do much more.

I use a Tascam US 1800, and it records 16 simultaneous/separate tracks. It is a USB 2.0 interface.

Thanks Jimmy!
Anyone - any good and cheap (!?) USB interfaces with say 4-5 or more 24 bit digital (mono) out channels?
I understand those will cost $200+ but anyway?
Ta!

Well, first off it is 4-5 'inputs' you are looking for when talking about an interface. Outputs in this case, are referring to outputs from the computer, through the interface for outboard gear, monitors, etc.

Tascam US1800. Price just dropped to $200. They must be about to come out with a new product line. You won't find more bang for your buck than this unit.

Thanks Jimmy.
Very impressive unit. May be a bit out of my reach at the moment (£260 here in UK).

Question 1)If I have to settle for something less (say 4 inputs to 4 24 bit DAW tracks) - any USB recommedations?

Question 2)How can i tell how many DAW channels I am able to record looking on description:
Say it says
"6 Audio Inputs (4 analog + 2 digital) and 4 Audio Outputs (2 analog + 2 digital)"
Does this mean 6 simultaneous channels I can record + 2 stereo mixes out I can use (i.e. 2 people having different mixes, for example?)
Does it also mean that I can only have say 2 mikes and a stereo keyboard in terms of instruments (2 digital is something like spdif from CD etc).

I have taken this from Tascam 600 on thomann site (soory can't post URL here).

Is my understanding correct and can I always assume this is what it means? Sometimes even reading manual does not actually say how may channels I can record into DAW simultaneously.... :-(

Because some 2in2Out units can actually have 6 analogue inputs but they have to be mixed into stereo to be recorded as 2 DAW tracks (which is not always obvious)??? :-(
Ta!

Thanks Jimmy.
Very impressive unit. May be a bit out of my reach at the moment (£260 here in UK).

Question 1)If I have to settle for something less (say 4 inputs to 4 24 bit DAW tracks) - any USB recommedations?

Question 2)How can i tell how many DAW channels I am able to record looking on description:
Say it says
"6 Audio Inputs (4 analog + 2 digital) and 4 Audio Outputs (2 analog + 2 digital)"
Does this mean 6 simultaneous channels I can record + 2 stereo mixes out I can use (i.e. 2 people having different mixes, for example?)
Does it also mean that I can only have say 2 mikes and a stereo keyboard in terms of instruments (2 digital is something like spdif from CD etc).

I have taken this from Tascam 600 on thomann site (soory can't post URL here).

Is my understanding correct and can I always assume this is what it means? Sometimes even reading manual does not actually say how may channels I can record into DAW simultaneously.... :-(

Because some 2in2Out units can actually have 6 analogue inputs but they have to be mixed into stereo to be recorded as 2 DAW tracks (which is not always obvious)??? :-(
Ta!

Look for a used US-1641. Basically the same interface with internal power supply. It's discontinued but reliable.

1. I'm sure someone will have better experience with a 4 input device, though the US600 would do 4 mics/line and a digital stereo input. Total of 6 separate tracks to daw. You would need to buy a preamp or use something with a digital (spdif) output, to utilize. Basically, there is no A/D conversion for the 5/6 channels.

2. Yes, you have this mostly understood. I don't believe the digital 'out' is separate however. On mine, it is more of a 'thru'. In other words, I can connect a preamp with spdif out, to either the digital in or out, and have input signal to my DAW.

Yes, the 600 will do any combination of 4 XLR or line inputs, plus the digital tracks 5/6. Only two line outputs (stereo pair) to hook up monitors.

'In' typically describes how many tracks will record separately. Unless of course it is a mixer. That is what usually confuses people. Most USB mixers sum to 2 tracks only.

Thanks again Jimmy. Great explanation about mixers...

No luck for me with 1641 so far. Will try to find one here.
I am leaning to Tascam 600 (£120 here - half the price of US1800). 4 tracks at the same time is more then I have at the moment (2 with my camcorder mike input :-)))) ). In reality at the moment I only need max of 2 mikes and a stereo instrument (guitar effects or keyboard) which 600 should do, I understand.
I doubt I will need more then that really.

Seem to have good feedback (works well) but a bit on the lowish build quality side.
Want to do a bit more research first though.
Anyone can share experience with Tascam 600?
Anyone can suggest similar interfaces?
Ta!

Back