recording gt-3

asadikhan

Hello,

Basically my problem is this: I have a fender stratocaster, a Boss gt-3, and a fender princeton amplifier. The three of these when put together give me great result and an amazing distortion sound that I've eventually grown to love. Now I want to record this distortion sound on computer. I am currently using whatever sound card my computer came with (probably SB 64V PCI), and so the distortion sound is really unclear and at times pinchy (it hurts to listen any high notes). Its just very very awful no matter which distortion patch I am using in the gt-3. So I thought I need a better sound card. My problem is I don't know which one.

I did go to this shop and they told me I should buy Audiophile 24/96 since its very good. But they didn't let me try it out, and they didn't know if it'd solve my recording distortion sound problem.

So please help. Tell me what exactly I need to record better distortion. If anything other than a sound card, or if a sound card which one.

Thanx.

Asad

btw, i thought i should also mention that i am taking care of the following two things:

1) i've plugged my GT-3 into the line input on the soundcard and not the mic input.

2) I have checked my software recording levels. I have adjusted the recording level on the line input of my soundcard's software mixer to the maximum possible without creating overload on the
soundcard's input.

so its not one of these two. its something else!?

asad

So find out what it is. If it's less than 44,000/16bit, you're not gonna get a very good sound; it's probably the source of your problem, and assuming it's the only setting allowed, a better card would definitely improve things.

hmm, i tried a few frequencies around 44,000 and it didn't give me any different results. For higher frequencies, it didn't let me, so I'm guessing my sound card (SB 64V PCI) isn't good enough. Not a surprise. But would buying a better card make the sound better. If yes what specs should I look for in searching for a better sound card that will solve this problem.

Line in sucks

Recording from a Line in will ALWAYS sound like shit. Anyone who knows how to record a guitar, mics the amp. Off to the side of the speaker never in the center. If your recording a distorted guitar, use no compression.

Just try it,
T.J.Hooker:cool:

T.J.'s right about micing the amp rather than running your GT3 into the line in on the blaster. But that brings up other issues.

The blaster at 16 bit is never going to sound clear or accurate and will only perform worse as you add tracks. Too much stuff going on for it to process quickly. And reducing to 1/8" input is gonna be a quality killer also.
The 2496 you mentioned will certainly be a huge improvement in quality and flexibility. Take some time to ponder what all you'ld like to be able to do and then read up before spending.

BTW - how much computer are you working with and what kind of mics, if any, have you got?

the card your computer came with?? yea thats definitely the problem. unless its ment for recording.

I've done LOTSA research on soundcards. Soundcards make a humongous difference.

If your on a budget, Audiophile 24/96 is by far biggest band for the buck for under 300 bucks. Under 600, definitely go for Omni-Studio package (delta 66). That's what I'm getting, and it has everything you'll ever need, including great built in pre-amps. Under 1000 go for Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96....only heard great stuff about it. I'd also recommend Event Gina, Darla, Mona. All of em are supposed to be pretty good.

If you have a slow computer, just get the Yamaha DS2416 DSP Factory soundcard (if you need mem to record and all). It does the work itself, comes with plugins and stuff. Its outta stock and stuff, but you can get it offa Ebay probably around 200 bucks now. It used to be worth 5 times that much, the list is still at that.

Gotta say!

musicsdarkangel said:
Under 1000 go for Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96....only heard great stuff about it. I'd also recommend Event Gina, Darla, Mona. All of em are supposed to be pretty good.

No way, Motu 2408, is where it's at dude, not only "heard great stuff" but "used one" Excellent,very nice is all I can say.

DUDE,
T.J.Hooker:cool:

Back