recording freq poll

what freq are you using

• Total voters
what freq are you recording @ and why.

I record everything at 42.13khz. The guitars, the vocals, the drums, even the bass guitar only occupies 42.12khz. The way I figure it, if I only have 1 frequency that everything is occupying, I don't need to use an EQ at all. I can just turn everything up and down to taste. No rumbly 60hz, because there is no 60hz, only 42.12khz. No low end mud, because there is no low end, only 42.12khz. I get a bit of problem with crowding at 42.12khz but meh, when your bass guitar only occupies 42.12 khz it's going to sound like ass anyway. :p

32bit float @ 44.1kHz best way to go IMO. Really huges hz kills processor and the return is not worth it. However high bit rates are encourage for sure.

I record everything at 42.13khz. The guitars, the vocals, the drums, even the bass guitar only occupies 42.12khz. The way I figure it, if I only have 1 frequency that everything is occupying, I don't need to use an EQ at all. I can just turn everything up and down to taste. No rumbly 60hz, because there is no 60hz, only 42.12khz. No low end mud, because there is no low end, only 42.12khz. I get a bit of problem with crowding at 42.12khz but meh, when your bass guitar only occupies 42.12 khz it's going to sound like ass anyway. :p

I declare that this is the best post ever.

I'm no pro, but 96k/24 bit seems to sound better. It feels like there is so much more depth to the recording. My feeling now is that hard disk space is cheap. I'll let the man doing the dithering worry about the recording frequency and bit rate. I've decided that I'm the one in charge of the mix. Mastering will be done by someone who knows what they're doing and has the right gear.

LoL :laughings:

I recorded everything at 32000khz once. When I played it back my mix had never sounded so clear and transparent with so much air in the mix. Strangely my dog started waging his tail and dancing along to the track while all the other pets in the street began to go absolutely nuts...........:laughings:

Seriously didn't know what to expect thinking 48 or 96 would be popular choices, but I too in the 44.1 world, though I still think tape is supreme. 96 & 192 does sound noticeably better in the big expensive rooms but my garage aint one of them so for me there is no point.

If your ever in doubt put on a classic vinyl record before bits and plugins were invented, crank the volume to 11, then ask yourself what technology do I really need. I always come unstuck with a telefunken U47 or some sort of Nueman.

96khz/24 bit. originally 48khz/24 bit before the switch to x64 windows which improved buffering dramatically.

my motu hd192 can go as high as (you guessed it) 192khz/32 bit. :eek:

when some Japanese company come along and changes the Red Book standard, ill be ready. :D

Back