PT9 - ADAT - RME HDSP 9652 - 01v96... No Output

0ddleif

Hey

I have e serious problem. I am going to produce a CD and I have a new setup. I have worked on that setup for a while and downloaded and installed the newest drivers.

I use ProTools 9 through a RME HDSP 9652 PCI soundcard. I use ADAT to a Yamaha 01v96 mixer.

I already have a input signal from the mixer into ProTools, but I can't hear the playback when I am going to mix.

Can anyone of you pros help me? This is not good for business!!

There's a couple of ways to do this, depending on your needs. However, before we get into that, you'll need to make sure that the 01V is either set to receive clock from the RME (slaved) or the other way round. Either way, the RME and the 01V have to be clocked together.

Once that's done, you should have no problem sending and receiving signal.

As far as I see it, you could either route the ADAT outputs from the RME to the input strips on the 01V, or, if you just want to hear the stereo playback you'll have to route the stereo master output bus from PT to an available pair of input channels on the 01V.

You say you've used this system before so I may be giving advice here that you already know, but this is all done in the PATCH section of the console. You'll need to navigate to the INPUT PATCH 1-32 tab. Channels 13 - 16 default as stereo channels so I would use those because they have rotary encoders. Alternatively you could use Channels 1 - 16 as INPUT strips and channels 17 - 32 as your RETURN strips for audio playback. That might be an easier option because you can separate them nicely via the different layers. The simplest setup would just have channels 17 - 18 as the stereo return from PT. You can set them up to pair together in the PAIR section.

Basically you'll need to route your stereo master bus in pro tools to ADAT 1 + 2 (output) and then assign those as input to a pair of channels on the 01V, such as channels 17 - 18.

It sounds simple but the 01V can be a little weird to operate because it's got a million different layers and menus. Compact can be frustrating.

Shout back if you need more help.

Cheers :)

Thank you for the answer.

I have connected a BNC worldclock cable between the 01v and the RME. With 01v as a master.

I have routed the ADAT1&2 from the RME to channel 31-32. When I connect the optical cable directly from output to input the faders in the 01v moves. So I belive the 01v has the correct setup.

When I send the output signal from PT to RME, I can see the output faders move in the RME-software. Still there are no sound from my speakers, or any signals into the 01v. I have also tried to change the optical cable to checj if they are broken, but nothing happends.

Hope you still have many great ideas to solve this one..

mvh Oddleif

Hmmm, I am not sure why the faders would move unless you are recalling a scene via Studio Manager. I have never seen this happen because the optical ports do not do anything but pass signal. There are no control messages through ADAT. Not to my knowledge, at least.

So, on the RME mixer you are seeing an output level on ADAT 1&2?

Is the input patch of channel 31- 32 on the 01V set to ADAT1 and ADAT2, respectively?

I can tell you that in my experience, I often confuse the built-in ADAT ports and the one on the MYGDAI card. Do you have the ADAT expansion card installed? The 01V sees the built-in ADAT ports first and then the slot card.

Are you sure your input patch isn't set to SLOT1_1?

I can tell you that in my experience, I often confuse the built-in ADAT ports and the one on the MYGDAI card. Do you have the ADAT expansion card installed? The 01V sees the built-in ADAT ports first and then the slot card.

Are you sure your input patch isn't set to SLOT1_1?

)

I did that mistake a while ago. Mixed Adat and Slot, so I have learned that the hard way.

The only thing i can think could be the problem is that the output at the RME card is broken, but none of the other 2 adat port does work either.

Isn`t there any Mute button or something like that, somewhere in any of the software that i don`t know?

Check in the ROUTING section that channels 31-32 are routed to the stereo bus. That's all I can think of.

FINALLY, problem solved. The ADAT output on the RME card was broken. Had to change the optical cables to ADAT 2 an use different outputs setting in PT....

OH,Jesus....

Back