Which processor is THE processor?

musicsdarkangel

I'm looking to upgrade my computer from a Pentium II 300 mhz to something that will support home recording. The Pentium III's look really expensive, compared to the AMD Athlon. I can buy an Athlon 1 GHz motherboard combo with 200/266 bus speed for 131 bucks. Is there any reason I couldn't do this upgrade and will it support home recording pretty well? (check out pricewatch.com)
(if you have any recommendations on a processor, i'd gladly take em) (by the way, I'm getting the Omnistudio (looks great)). thanks everybody! please help me out here, I'm clueless (advantages, dis's) bye bye

Just make sure all of your hardware (soundcard, video card, modem/network card, etc...) will work in that board. As well as your software. Other than that, you should be fine.

amd's are great chips - just MAKE SURE you get a good mobo based on a good (stable, not necessarily "fast") chipset. this is the most important decision when it comes to amd chips. also make sure you have ample cooling in your machine.

mobo suggestions: ASUS A7M266 (i know its the most expensive one, but its worth every penny - the most stable amd motherboard out there - i am a technician at a computer repair shop and we see them all)

good luck

is it really disappearing? we're an asus dealer at the shop - i need to check into that (i was about to swap out my A7V for an A7M266 this month!)

well if the A7M266 is no longer available by the time you purchase your board - make sure you get a good name-brand board with an AMD-based or at very least a VIA-based chipset

nick

I don't think it's going anywhere. If you go to the ASUS Motherboard page, and take the "A7 DDR Series (UltraDMA/100, AGP Pro)" link, it's listed on there.

coulja recommend me to a chipset?

The chipset comes with the motherboard: if someone recommends a motherboard, it's often because of the chipset on it. There you go :)

i knew that!

So why do you ask for a chipset recommendation?? you said you were gonna go with the A7M266...That's an AMD761 chipset which I think is a good choice for stability....
Via chipsets can be a bit dodgy and I would definitely stay away from the Ali chipsets...Don't know about SiS chipsets...

Do a search on "VIA" and "chipset" and if the search engine is working today, you will find tons of info.

yeah i would definitely recommend the amd chipset i actually just sat down from checking in two computers here at our repair shop based on the via kt133 chipset... one of them has a dead mobo/processor, the other just locks up a lot (could be unrelated to the chipset, but looks fishy)

i have the via kt133 chipset right now and i am having no problems with it, but our customers have been having serious problems with systems based on these chips. going with a chipset made by the people who make your processor is just a logical choice if you ask me.

and by the way - NEVER trust SIS. we call them "Shit In Side" here at the shop. they ALWAYS break. i dont care if they are fast/stable/whatever when they're running. when they come in here they just dont boot up. SIS has been making shitty chipsets since the days of the 486 and probably before that. anything that comes standard issue in a eMachines or a sub-$800 compaq is something NOT to put in your computer.

Back