Pro Tools LE expandability questions?????

Analytical Man

ALrighty pro tools guys, i have taken the plunge. I bought the digi 002 Rack w/ the bundled plugins...and a brand new smoking fast computer. I have a couple of questions requarding the ins/outs of the digi 002 rack. I know that there is 8 inputs, but only 4 are xlr, i will need more. At the very least 4 more xlrs going to independant tracks. So here are my questions, can i buy another digi rack for cheaper without the software and use both in tandem (each being hooked into a sperate firwire port) having one be inputs1-4, and the other being 5-8 for xlr's, and 9-16 being the 1/4 ins from both in the same way? Is this possible, better yet is this stupid? Can i get something to expand to at least 4 more xlrs for cheaper than that? I know PT makes you use their stuff if i understand everyone right. What are some options to expand my inputs to 8 Xlr for micing my drums? I have heard a little about lightpie...it is chinese to me. I don't want to spend tons of money because i just spent 4200 bucks, so if there is a cheap simple solution i am in there like swimwear. if someone can explain how it works to me i would be very appreciative. Thanks a pantload!

First of all, you cannot get another Digi-002 to expand. Digidesign only let you use one piece of Digi Hardware with ProTools-LE. You do have 4 more analog line inputs. You can buy 4 more channels of preamps with line level, analog outputs, and patch them directly into the Digi-002. That will get you a total of 8 mic inputs. If you want more, you can buy an 8 channel mic preamp that has a digital ADAT lightpipe output on it. All lightpipe is is an optical digital format that connects together using fiber optic cables. This is a very cmomon format.

Example of preamps that have lightpipe outputs are: Presonus Digimaz line, Focusrite Octo-Pre's, M-Audio Octane(?), and the cheapest option, the Behringer ADA8000.

Thanks guys. I was curious if you could only use a single piece of digi gear at one time, so that clears that up. Here is one more question, or two. If i can take my digi rack, and use the 4 XLR's, and patch 4 preamps into the 1/4 for 8 XLRS, can i go above an beyond that and use an 8 channel lightpipe connection for 8 more XLRS, and also use the S/PDIF for two more inputs. Or can i only use either lightpipe, or S/PDIF. If so i could essentially have 16 XLR's, and two digital inputs correct. I guess even if i can't use lightpipe, and the S/PDIF at the same time i could still at the very least have 16 XLR's correct? I am starting to feel a little better now knowing that i can add this to it. Now all of these connections that are made can be used simultaneously, correct...16 tracks through the XLR's at once into 16 tracks of pro tools?

Correctamundo. You cannot use ADAT and S/PDIF in simultaneously, but ADAT in, 4 channels of outboard preamps, and 4 onboard pres gives you 16 simultaneous ins. For wicked cheap auxiliary channels, Behringer ADA8000 will give you 8 additional channels in by ADAT. If you want the 8000 to clock off the 002, you'll need 2 ADAT cables. $229, and it doesn't suck nearly as much as what you would expect. For better pres and more features, M Audio Octane is about $600. There's also a popular Focusrite unit, but I don't remember the designation. If you want more than 16 simultaneous ins, the 002 is not really for you. One note- whatever unit you go with, get top of the line optical transfer cables. The 002's ADAT in is notoriously unforgiving of cheap cables.-Richie

Thanks, i think you are refering to the Octopre by Focusrite. Thanks for the heads up on the cable thing. Definately won't buy cheap. 16 inputs are more than enough for me. Thanks!

You can actually use both the ADAT and S/PDIF inputs at the same time, giving you a total of 18 simultaneous inputs.

you know i thought that too until i looked at the manual. it says you choose one pair....Optical OR the SPDIF
never tried it though

I have. I have both a Mini-me (two channel S/PDIF) and a Tango 24 (8 channel ADAT). So far I've only had need to track up to 14 channels (8 to the 002R, 2 through the S/PDIF and four across the ADAT). It's worked fine.

what about doing 8 across the ADAT and 2 across the SPDIF??? maxing both out?? i'm thinking maybe you can't do that.
again, this all speculation from reading the manual. i don't have any gear with the SPDIF connections so i can't try it

No, you can't do that. S/PDIF and ADAT connections cannot be used simultaneously with 002. Or so the manual and people on DUC say. Your best bet is 8 analog and 8 ADAT. The max is 16 simultaneous tracks, and mixing and editing must be done in the computer.-Richie

Not the case. You can use both simultaneously (at least on an 002R). The confusion may come from the fact that you can set your optical input to either ADAT or S/PDIF--in that case you couldn't use both. But with the RCA S/PDIF input you can use it and the ADAT optical input. I've seen it discussed on the DUC as well--18 inputs.

Cool puppies! I stand corrected. I've got an Octane on the way, so theoretically, I could go into channels 3/4 with my Avalon, 7/8 with a DMP-3, RCA S/PDIF with the Joemeek twinQ, and optical ADAT with the Octane simultaneously, with 18 out by firewire?-Richie

Control Surface

So, say you have the 002 rack and an 8 channel pre piped for 16 channels. What are your options for control surfaces? Any restrictions from Digidesign?

Richard Monroe said:
Cool puppies! I stand corrected. I've got an Octane on the way, so theoretically, I could go into channels 3/4 with my Avalon, 7/8 with a DMP-3, RCA S/PDIF with the Joemeek twinQ, and optical ADAT with the Octane simultaneously, with 18 out by firewire?-Richie

Yep, you just have to figure out your clocking. In my case I'm using an Apogee Minime for the S/PDIF inputs and I use it for clocking everything.

As far as outputs go, the Minime is an A/D box only so I haven't tried using the S/PDIF outputs simultaneously with the analog and ADAT outs, but I don't see why it wouldn't work similar to the inputs.

Back