pro tools changed speed of recording

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
hi everyone,

we've recorded drums last week in a little project studio which runs the digi001 with the free protools set. The engineer is pretty experienced but when we came back after recording the drums we noticed that they were slower. Now we thought it was from hearing it too much the day befor ebut afterwards we found out that the recording was out of tune; about a half tone but not exactly. We tried swapping sample rates but this does not seem to be the problem. Now on the recording day we didn't do any editing, just plain recording.
For the dubbing of the guitar and bass tracks we need to pitch the drums up to original tuning which wont be that big a problem but the whole situation already took two days.

anyone have an idea how this can happen?

thanks!
Guhlenn:confused: and a bit :eek:

ps ofcourse i will post the recordings, as soon as they are finished.

Were you using SPDIF from another sound card? I had a problem with when my Digi 001 was connected to the SB LIve SPDIF. Recording made at 44.1 kh were playing back faster. Evidently, my Digi was set to sync externally and playback of music CDs and sound recordings was at an accelerated pace.

SB Live plays and records only at 48kh, while the Digi does several speeds including 44.1 kh. If your recording is slow, you may have recorded at 48kh unknowingly and are playing back at 44.1 kh. I would at least look at your recording setup and soundcards used to see if something similar or a variation had occurred.

I finally unplugged the SPDIF cable and things went back to normal.

we did hook up an ADAT to gain three channels for recording the strings but the background on the drums was also out of tune. the digi was the only card used for routing into computer.

the engineer checked the sample rates several times, but i don't know if the problem lies there. thanksd for your help anyway.

greetz guhlenn

switch your session sample rate to 48k, and set the sync to Internal. ADATs tend to run at that rate, and if it sounds about a half tone flat, that's why.

i'll be sure to let you know what is the problem. right now the engineer wants to pitch the note to original ... cuz thge drums are better a bit slower... anyway i'll let ya know!

thanks!
guhlenn

Back