Presonus FP10/Firepod OUTPUTS!

iceyflame

Hey guys. The Presonus FP10/Firepod are said to have 8 Line Outputs, a L/R Main CR output, a L/R Cue Mix Line Out and a L/R Preamp Output. I have four questions:

1. The 8 Line Outputs, are they like 'thru' outputs for each of the preamps, where all that will come out of each output is the signal that's going into it's corresponding input? OR do they work like aux sends where on my audio program I can select whatever I want to go through that output?

2. The L/R Cue Output, is it different in ANY way from the Main Output, if so, how is it different, and what can I do with it that is advantagous over using the Main Out, and vice versa.

3. The Preamp Output, is that basically just a L/R mixdown of all the signal before it goes into the preamps? Or what?

4. What are the two Line Inputs on the back for? Are they Alternatives for using the inputs on channel 1/2 on the front?

Thanks alot, hope that all made sense and I really would appreciate it alot if you answer the questions like 1/2/3/4 as I wrote them. Thanks so much guys.

Chris

Hey guys. The Presonus FP10/Firepod are said to have 8 Line Outputs, a L/R Main CR output, a L/R Cue Mix Line Out and a L/R Preamp Output. I have four questions:

1. The 8 Line Outputs, are they like 'thru' outputs for each of the preamps, where all that will come out of each output is the signal that's going into it's corresponding input? OR do they work like aux sends where on my audio program I can select whatever I want to go through that output?

2. The L/R Cue Output, is it different in ANY way from the Main Output, if so, how is it different, and what can I do with it that is advantagous over using the Main Out, and vice versa.

3. The Preamp Output, is that basically just a L/R mixdown of all the signal before it goes into the preamps? Or what?

4. What are the two Line Inputs on the back for? Are they Alternatives for using the inputs on channel 1/2 on the front?

Thanks alot, hope that all made sense and I really would appreciate it alot if you answer the questions like 1/2/3/4 as I wrote them. Thanks so much guys.

Chris

1. Yes, when the firepod is not synced to the computer, the 8 inputs get routed to the 8 outputs. But they still go through the A/D/A conversion.

2. No it's pretty much the same, depending on the position of the Mix control

3. The preamp outputs combined with the line inputs are used for inserting outboard effects, e.g.compression, delay etc.

1. Yes, when the firepod is not synced to the computer, the 8 inputs get routed to the 8 outputs. But they still go through the A/D/A conversion.

2. No it's pretty much the same, depending on the position of the Mix control

3. The preamp outputs combined with the line inputs are used for inserting outboard effects, e.g.compression, delay etc.

Thanks alot!

Regarding '1.', what happens when the firepod IS synced to the computer, are can the 8 outputs be used as assignable Aux Sends then or is it the same?

2. So basically the Cue and Main output are identical in signal and just have volume controls independant of each other? What would either be used for?

Yes when it's synced, the 8 outs are available to your daw as aux sends you can route to.

In my case, the Main outs went to my monitors, and I sent the Cue mix to an amp driving another pair of speakers

The CUE output is controlled by the "mix" control on the front of the firepod. Basically what you hear through the headphone output is the same thing you will hear through the CUE output. You can use the CUE output to monitor an incoming signal with no latency. The main outputs is the sound output after it goes through the A/D converters and through the computer driver and software.

The 1/2 line inputs can be used to add effects to channels 1 and 2, or you can not plug in a microphone into the front input on channel 1 or 2 and just plug in the line output of an external pre-amp into the respective line input on the back of the Firepod.

Most of these questions are addressed in the firepod owner's manual.

I'll see if I can get clarification before starting a new thread...

According to Bulls Hit, you can take a signal from any of the 8 outputs in the back of the Firepod except when the unit is synced to the computer. My experience bears this out.

There are a few things I would like to be able to do:

1. Run a signal from our three vocal mics out to the PA so we can hear what we are singing while we are recording. I can do this with the channel 1 and 2 preamp outputs, but that leave a third mic that can't be run through the PA since the 8 outputs shut down when synced to the computer. Do I have this bass-ackwards? Should I be running through a mixer first, taking inserts out the the Presonus?

2. Run signals from each of the channels being recorded to a headphone mixer/amp, so we can hear the the signals being sent to the recording software in real time.

I don't understand why the 8 outputs shut down when you sync to the computer. Otherwise, how can you get a headphone mix out, and what earthly good are those 8 outputs if they won't work while you are recording?

Back