Is this possible? re: audio interfaces

bart2712

Let's say for example that I want to use 2 USB audio interfaces on one DAW. Would it be possible to record inputs from them simultaneously into a DAW? (Could I have them both plugged into 2 different USB ports and use all the inputs in one DAW at the same time)?

Let's say for example that I want to use 2 USB audio interfaces on one DAW. Would it be possible to record inputs from them simultaneously into a DAW? (Could I have them both plugged into 2 different USB ports and use all the inputs in one DAW at the same time)?

If the USB interface drivers support it.

No look at the specs, I think Zoom for example does. The OS driver (ASIO) has to support it and it will be from the same manufacturer. But rather than go through that trouble, why not just get an interface that allows multiple inputs and outputs? Tascam for example gives you 8/4 there are a few others, about $500 or less if you catch a sale.

ok cool, thx for the info...if i want an AI thatll allow me to record 16 tracks to DAW simultaneously, what exactly should i be looking for in the specs?

The Scarlett 18i20 will give you 8 mic inputs with 8 individual mic pres, but their software won't support 2 units at once...
Same for the Onyx Blackbird from Mackie. Might be possible to use each one's routing software to get them separated into 16 channels, but you'll spend a grand to get there.
Still cheaper than most 16 in 16 out digital mixers (USB interfaces on most are from the mains, meaning stereo).
Still, since one is USB and the other is firewire, you should keep latency and bandwidth problems at a minimum.

ok cool, thx for the info...if i want an AI thatll allow me to record 16 tracks to DAW simultaneously, what exactly should i be looking for in the specs?

16? I question the need for so much.

You will need an interface that has probably 8 and an ADAT connection is an option, for 16 you are really going into a different level than I have knowledge about ($1500/2K range).

Let's see what some others have to say on the matter as they have more experience than I do.

Great info, all... @DM, this is mainly just for future reference for now...eventually I wanna build my own studio, but use only one AI that can handle a full band playing at the same time and still have each instrument on their own tracks recording into the DAW, and I would like to get just one AI so it'll have the capability for it and I don't have to get a new one.
Either that, or get one for now, and eventually just add another one into the process, as long as I can have all inputs go to their own tracks.

Kind of what I thought. Now, there will be others to add to this, but usually in a studio, about the only time you would need more than 8 inputs would be drums. Everyone else would either record solo or if you had booths and such, then maybe. If you're recording live, then I still contend for most of us, 8 inputs would still be pretty good coming off the board.

Once you go to something like 16, then you have other issues like, space, sound treatment, etc. So 8 is a lot the way most recording is done unless you are going pro.

As stated, others can add to this and probably give better advice.

I regularly record live-in-studio stuff so I understand the 16 track need. I'm using a MOTU PCI-324 based system, which is too old for current computers, but there's a PCIe-424 host card that is less obsolete. That with a 24i/o interface would more than cover your needs, and you could still add another three interfaces on the host card for up to 96 inputs.

Often I'll track the drums with scratch tracks of the basic instrumentation done direct, so no bleed. Then just replace the direct scratch tracks with miced amps or whatever.

thx all for the info...i think chances are that i will end up going with an AI thats 8/8...if i need more than that, i can always upgrade if need be.

thx all for the info...i think chances are that i will end up going with an AI thats 8/8...if i need more than that, i can always upgrade if need be.

You should consider the Tascam US1800 IMHO and a modest mixer. The 1800 can handle 8 mics but you could use the mixer to get a stereo mix down on drums and feed the AI's line inputs. If you go for a 4 bus mixer you could have a 4track mix of drums..Good enough for the noisy beggars surely?

Dave.

Look into motu interfaces. They have something for every combination of needs. usb, firewire, pci, etc... and everything from two mic inputs up to 96 channel systems. The quality is better than low end stuff, almost reaching into the high end.

Back