• Mac

11 44.00%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: PC vs. Mac (hahaha)

wheelema is offline Boner-obo
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by fetuslasvegas View Post
    There is a reason that things are cheaper for PCs. Sure you could build a PC with the same specs as any MacPro, as in same processor speed, amount of ram, etc... and the Mac will out perform the PC every time. The reason Macs cost more is because they use top of the line, non consumer grade hardware. Sure you can build a PC with the same grade hardware, and it will cost you the same as a Mac.
    Who told you that?!?!?!? Absolutely incorrect. And I'm not talking out of the side of my mouth. I'm a former bench tech and system builder who has built hundreds of computers and repaired hundreds more. The components that Apple has discretion over is limited to the case, motherboard, power supply, keyboard, and mouse. CPU, graphics cards, memory, DVD, HDD, SSD, etc... the honest-to-gawd performance components... roll off the same manufacturing lines as (Heaven help us) Packard Bell. That shit is plug-and-play and was deliberately selected by Apple to leverage economies of scale.

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    Good points.

Also, a Ferrari (1985 BB512 that I had the pleasure of driving through MacDonald's for fries) is also very unstable at speeds above 140 on crappy highways like we have here in Colorado. Not sure if this is an analogy, or just gratuitous bragging. Turned that red bitch sideways on some sand and almost ran it into a mailbox. lol! Scared the hell out of me.

I think that the point here, regarding the two systems, is that it really does take a couple grand to get a completely reliable PC setup. One can however, be put together much cheaper with PC, but at the chance of unreliability or system performance. I can not argue that your mac is as good, or maybe even better than what I have running now. But I don't have a reason to compare or complain, because I don't have an issue to compare it to.

Most PC issues, seem to be with products put together by manufacturers like Dell or HP, that have tons of crap on them, that are not relevant to recording. My Windows 7 OEM install, has nothing but the basic necessities. Even then, some bit of massaging the OS was in order, to make it work smoothly for recording.

I do however like the fact that I have no limitations as far as what software/hardware I am able to use. Well, I suppose I will never be able to try Logic, but I also have a Huffy Green Machine, that I would never take on the street either. Man, I can't wait to discredit myself there..... Video will happen....
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

DrumRookie is offline "That" kid.
    Thanks
    These kinds of threads are pointless. The Mac people will keep their Macs, the PC people will keep their PCs.

I'm a big time Mac person I've also used PCs before, but I'm am not impressed. I might consider using those things if I needed a render farm, but thats about the only professional use for them I could think of.

It's probably best I not get into the discussion of why Macs are overall some of the best compys out there, it gets ugly quickly

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDwarf View Post

producah = a newb with a $10 microphone, a laptop, $45,000 in cracked software and a million questions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    These kinds of threads are pointless. The Mac people will keep their Macs, the PC people will keep their PCs.

I'm a big time Mac person I've also used PCs before, but I'm am not impressed. I might consider using those things if I needed a render farm, but thats about the only professional use for them I could think of.

It's probably best I not get into the discussion of why Macs are overall some of the best compys out there, it gets ugly quickly
    Yep, and yep.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

fetuslasvegas is offline Señor Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelema View Post
    Who told you that?!?!?!? Absolutely incorrect. And I'm not talking out of the side of my mouth. I'm a former bench tech and system builder who has built hundreds of computers and repaired hundreds more. The components that Apple has discretion over is limited to the case, motherboard, power supply, keyboard, and mouse. CPU, graphics cards, memory, DVD, HDD, SSD, etc... the honest-to-gawd performance components... roll off the same manufacturing lines as (Heaven help us) Packard Bell. That shit is plug-and-play and was deliberately selected by Apple to leverage economies of scale.
    I'm not saying that all components don't originate in the same production plants whether they are for PC or Mac. What I said was production MacPros are built with SERVER grade hardware not CONSUMER grade hardware. You CAN build a PC with the same SPECS as a MacPro i.e. processor SPEED, AMOUNT of ram, etc. The MacPro will beat out the CHEAPER PC EVERY TIME.

If you were to build a PC with the SAME SERVER GRADE COMPONENTS, the cost between the PC and Mac would be negligible, so why not go with the machine that has an all inclusive 3 year replacement policy available?? In three years right before my apple care is up, I can take my machine in and have anything replaced that is not running up to par for FREE...

The first business I ever owned was a custom PC building company, I have built and repaired countless PCs and Macs... So neither one of us is lacking in the knowledge area, and had I been more articulate in my statement I don't believe you would have responded as you did...

This processor is comparable to the processor in my current MacPro, how are you going to build a cheaper PC with that. And again, this arguing a home built computer's price versus a retail computer's price is ridiculous!!

And please, don't forget this:

Back to the discussion though, to compare building a computer yourself to a professionally built computer sold retail, whether it is price wise, build quality, or any other comparison isn't comparing apples to apples (hahahaha!!!!) If you were to compare a PRODUCTION PC, with SERVER GRADE not CONSUMER GRADE components to a PRODUCTION Mac, you would have two similar machines at nearly the same price point, in two very different cases. Now, if you want to compare what you can build on your own, whether it be Mac or PC, again, same machine, same price point. Arguing that would be retarded as those are facts. The point where everything goes to shit is when each of the computers boots up to either windows or OSX, thus the birth of the hackintosh... It really depends on which operating system you want to run at the end of the day. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a demo of a dope ass VST and googled it ready for download only to find out it is PC only. That being said, I will still never go back to PC, not even as a second machine. Nor will I pollute my Mac by making it a dual boot system, as they have now developed cross over virus'.
    desk reconfiguration... (stupid distracting forum!!!)
    MacPro 8 core,Ableton Suite 8,Samsung SyncMaster S24B30BL,JBL LSR2325P,AKG K240 Studio,Mackie ONYX Blackjack,Blue Snowball,Numark PT-01,Akai APC40,M-Audio Oxygen25,Akai MPD16

Thanks
    You do realize that that processor is way more than a recording computer needs right? This is 'Home' recording dot com, not the Pixar films editing forum.

Thanks
    With ram, processor,and only a BOOT DRIVE,You are already at $3k+ without tax... nuff said!
    MacPro 8 core,Ableton Suite 8,Samsung SyncMaster S24B30BL,JBL LSR2325P,AKG K240 Studio,Mackie ONYX Blackjack,Blue Snowball,Numark PT-01,Akai APC40,M-Audio Oxygen25,Akai MPD16

Thanks
    With ram, processor,and only a BOOT DRIVE,You are already at $3k+ without tax... nuff said!
    About $2K more than necessary for most audio recording endeavors...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    You do realize that that processor is way more than a recording computer needs right? This is 'Home' recording dot com, not the Pixar films editing forum.
    I completely understand, like I said, that was the most comparable processor I could find to the one in my MacPro, I would like wheelema to point me to where I can find a production PC with components like these that would cost less than a Mac. Or a homebuilt one for that matter... See below...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    About $2K more than necessary for most audio recording endeavors...
    I guess I just over do it then, but I was also investing in a studio machine to last me for at least the next 5 years, and the fact that I can double my ram up to 64GB if I need to, I'm sure it will last me much longer than that...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information