Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC recording setup issues

salfordranger is offline Newbie
    Thanks

PC recording setup issues

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi sorry if this has already come up or is a bit simple for this area. I've looked about on google and this website and tried some things and the newbie section couldn't help.

Problem is playback skipping/choppy. I have 6GB ram, i5 processor pc. Using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB for recording. Sonar 8.5. I originally had the Driver mode set to MME (32 bit). This was difficult to use with the Latency and because i'm recording whilst listening to playback it becomes very difficult to work out the correct latency offset to use.

I then changed to ASIO for the lower latency and the automatic offset calculator but the chopping/ skipping started on playback. I increased the buffer to the max 10ms but it's still just as bad (it says max for the 2i2). I've tried stopping everything running that wasn't needed on the computer but it hasn't helped. I believe the CPU is running high whenever the skips/chops occur but it's hard to tell when the graphics are quick enough to follow them everytime.

If there's anything else i could do, maybe i'm running something wrong or wrong setting please help me. If there's a way to reduce the amount of processing done during playback that would help but my plan is to use other plugins in real time too so wouldn't help too much if it is a processor issue. I did download ASIO4ALL but i don't think i need it (could that be interferring with the 2i2's drivers?)
    If there's nothing i can do i guess i'll have to go back to MME so if you know of any programs that can calculate the latency for MME that would be useful too.

Thanks for your time and help

kcearl is offline I see deaf people
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by salfordranger View Post
    Hi sorry if this has already come up or is a bit simple for this area. I've looked about on google and this website and tried some things and the newbie section couldn't help.

Problem is playback skipping/choppy. I have 6GB ram, i5 processor pc. Using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB for recording. Sonar 8.5. I originally had the Driver mode set to MME (32 bit). This was difficult to use with the Latency and because i'm recording whilst listening to playback it becomes very difficult to work out the correct latency offset to use.

I then changed to ASIO for the lower latency and the automatic offset calculator but the chopping/ skipping started on playback. I increased the buffer to the max 10ms but it's still just as bad (it says max for the 2i2). I've tried stopping everything running that wasn't needed on the computer but it hasn't helped. I believe the CPU is running high whenever the skips/chops occur but it's hard to tell when the graphics are quick enough to follow them everytime.

If there's anything else i could do, maybe i'm running something wrong or wrong setting please help me. If there's a way to reduce the amount of processing done during playback that would help but my plan is to use other plugins in real time too so wouldn't help too much if it is a processor issue. I did download ASIO4ALL but i don't think i need it (could that be interferring with the 2i2's drivers?)
    If there's nothing i can do i guess i'll have to go back to MME so if you know of any programs that can calculate the latency for MME that would be useful too.

Thanks for your time and help
    The focusrite adio drivers should be the ones you use...the larger focusrites come with mixcontrol, im not sure about your, but i you can make sure your DAW and audio interface are set to 24bit 44.1khz...make sure buffers are set as the same and take it for there

Might be worthwhile reinstalling the focusrites drivers and rebooting

But you should be using Asio, not MME...if all else fails try Asio4all...but the focusrites should work fine

Btw they have great customer support, they generally just tke a day to answer...enter every detail into your query to save time with them asking you

Good luck

MrWrenchey is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by salfordranger View Post
    I increased the buffer to the max 10ms but it's still just as bad (it says max for the 2i2).
    Wait, so you have your buffer set really low and it's skipping? Have you tried increasing it to like, 30-50ms to see if it would fix it?

PRHunt is offline I void warranties
    Thanks
    I would experiment using other USB ports.

Also, try switching off CPU frequency scaling.
    "Bad speakers in a bad room could be likened to painting in a dark room with coloured glasses on. It really is guesswork." Steenie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWrenchey View Post
    Wait, so you have your buffer set really low and it's skipping? Have you tried increasing it to like, 30-50ms to see if it would fix it?
    That's the thing, with the ASIO for the 2i2 the max buffer is 10ms (doesn't go any higher). Lowest is 1ms.

Quote Originally Posted by PRHunt View Post
    I would experiment using other USB ports.

Also, try switching off CPU frequency scaling.
    thanks, sorry if this is a silly question but how do you do that (frequency scaling, not the USB ports )?

Thanks
    SonarProb.jpg

This is the screen i get for increasing the buffer. The Project i have open is what i'm running when experiencing the problem. As you can see it's not too demanding.

Thanks
    problems mainly occur when doing recording as well as playback which makes it seem like it's a process issue, but when i do it i have everything closed except sonar so i can't reduce the processing anymore other than in the program itself.

Flei is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    I have a less powerful PC than you, and I use the Scarlett 8i6. I have no issues with lag or skipping. Before I purchased my interface, I did a lot of research, and forum reading. The overall opinion was this: Do not use the software that came on the disc, instead download the software from the website because it'll have the latest bug fixes, etc... People stressed this specific point. Those that didn't listen apparently had all sorts of issues. I took their word for it, and went online to download the software from Focusrite. Use the link below

us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/downloads

Afterwards, everything worked great. The only additional thing I found was that some programs worked better using the ASIO4ALL driver (my guitar fx program for example), but my DAW prefers the Focusrite drivers. Also, as for the buffer - I don't recall what mine is set to (I'm at work right now), but I do remember that I had to find the "sweet-spot". It's neither all the way up or all the way down. So try different settings to see how your system responds... I hope that helps...

Thanks
    I've downloaded the latest driver (2.4 i think). I used a program called latencymon.exe which looks at my computer whilst in used. Said i had issues with realtime playback, explained the same symptoms i'm having.

LatencyAnalysis.jpg

This is an image of the results. I've tried switching off the WLAN, disabled CPU throttle, not sure what to do with BIOS or any of the other stuff.
    Any help please!

Thanks

PRHunt is offline I void warranties
    Thanks
    When you start up the PC, if you watch the start-up text, you will see a message that reads "Press <DEL> to enter set-up"

That exact message may not appear on your PC, but there will be something similar. Might be a different key to press, for instance.

Once in the set-up, see if you can find Speed Step and disable it. It might be under the CPU settings, clock settings, or maybe power management settings.

If you are not experienced with BIOS tweaks, don't go fiddling with other settings as you may adversely affect stability of your system.
    "Bad speakers in a bad room could be likened to painting in a dark room with coloured glasses on. It really is guesswork." Steenie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information