optimizing computer hard drive

rjt

A few months ago there was a discussion about optimizing hard drives for computer audio, a suggestion was to increase cluster size. Made sense, I copied the message and it basically said to optimize to: /Z:64.... okay how do I do that? (I have Win98 SE)

Sorry if this is an old topic, but in re-reading it, I realized I don't know how to do it. When I go to "format", it just gives me the choice of size: full, quick , etc.

Thanks

That's because you stay in Windows.

You have to get a DOS prompt by doing start>run> type in 'command' (no quotes).

You should then be typing c: /z:64

This is a tip I got from Emeric. He posted a link to an article on how to have dual boot. Pretty helpful.

Thanks for the link.... read a bit of it and will finish it later. Will try to format hard drive now, appreciate your input!!

Little problem ( I don't know if this matters, but my hard drives are SCSI and it is D which is the new drive)

I do command and get

C:/Windows/desktop>

When I type: D:/Z:64 I get the D drive, but nothing after that seems to start it formating. I get invalid command name etc.

I have also tried going to the MSDOS prompt.

Thanks in advance

I'm afraid I can't help you more. When getting the DOS prompt, did you try getting a d: prompt before entering the string?

In other words:

1- d: (enter) (the prompt should then be d:>)

2- d: /z:64 (enter) (maybe the space between the drive letter and the /z is important).

That's as far as I can go. Hopefully Emeric or someone else will read that thread.

Great link Gidge. I never noticed that article. I guess I'll have to go through all their aticles. Thanks.

You have to use this with the Format command.

i.e.

Format d: /z:64

Type that in from a C: prompt, or boot with a bootup disk and type it from A: prompt.

---This will erase all data on the drive.---

Thank you.... will reformat the drive tomorrow. The help on this forum is greatly appreciated!

Back