one more thing

CydeSwype

if i wasn't limited in budget, what's the best way to go and why?

*digital via recording with mixer, sound card and computer
*analog with mixer, and multitrack adat
-or-
*digital with equipment other than computer

is there any reason why i WOULDN'T want to be using the computer as my backbone? I wanna make sure i get this right on the first try =^)

Thanks again,
-Ian

I may be wrong, but I think SN-8 is reffering to PC systems as well as stand alone systems when he says "hard disk systems."

Try Dragon's link to Audioworks for a place to buy the Aark 20/20 ($695). Check out Gadget Labs Wave824 card ($599).

I think the studios are slowly integrating PC recording because they already own tens of thousands of dollars worth of outboard gear and they want to use it. This will be a slow make over, but eventually studios will replace their costly investments of outboard gear with PC based recording and processing. Also, processing software isn't up to high end standards yet and PC processing isn't up to large amounts of simultaneous inputs and outputs yet. Integrated systems are the best way for now.

One additional piece of advice:

Do you use computers now? Are you familier with PC and Mac enviornments? Have you used many pieces of non-audio/midi software?

If you say "yes", go with the computer system. If you can use software efficiently, you'll do fine in the Software world.

Just a thought....

Conrad Josepi

Hey Ian...
You have a stressful future ahead of you full of unforseen cost and bother... and I cant think of any reason not to go with a hard disk based system...unless you already have a two inch tape machine and a room full of outboard gear...
This is the very reason professional recording studios need to be worrying about their future...Cheers!!!

Yep =^) I'm a web developer and i've dabbled in ddclip (my favorite multitracking environment), SAW, and cool edit. I never really got much use out of Sound Forge though. I've had a little experience in midi but not much. I play with Buzz now and then (it's the coolest thing under the sun) =^) but...this recording studio is going to be for recording punk bands mostly =^) it's an open studio project to benefit local bands (very little or no charge to the bands to record). It's also a very big learning experience. We'll teach kids how to mix and master (once we figgure out ourselves) ;^) And i hear that a lot of people use cakewalk for multitrack live recording. I plan on trying to get away with ddclip, but i may have to break down and grab cakewalk too. I too was scarred by the version 3 when i first tried it. Hopefully version 8 is a little more intuitive and productive =^) And yeah, now i understand what S8-N was saying. it's alllll starting to make sense now =^)

Thanks EVERYONE!
-Ian

Okay, so why am i better off with the disk based machines? The other posts that i've read through seem to say "if you have a computer, use its disk...no need to go out and buy another one." I would think (and this is where i'm naive heh) that a computer has a much more advanced arvhitecture. Obviously it's not dedicated primarily to audio recording, so it may not have the same performance...but i would think that a computer would be ideal for recording applications. I need someone to tell me why i'm wrong about that. =^)

I'm having a hard time finding ardvaark and darla dealers. The respective sites are informative and pretty, but not very helpful for making purchases, and the equipment is so specialized (i assume) that i can't find it on auction. I know that most studios i go to have a desktop setup but they traditionally only use it to add fades, put the songs in order, and output to cd-r. Is it that that's the only thing that computers are the best at? or is it just because these studio guys are a bit afraid of computers, and firmly rooted in traditional recording gear? Just curious. I have too many questions, i know =^)

-Ian

Very cool idea...kind of a live version of HomeRecording.com
smile.gif
I wish you guyz a lotta luck and appreciate you helping folks out!!!

Back