new tascam firewire interface

surfmaster

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US1641

16-channels of TASCAM quality!

The TASCAM US-1641 is a great choice for musicians who need to record an ensemble of instruments or musicians to a computer. Eight mic/line inputs plus an additional six line inputs offer enough channels for a band recording, live recording, or house of worship service. It includes the latest version of Cubase LE, version 4, for state-of-the-art recording power. Packed into only one rackspace, the US-1641 is a top pick for studio and portable computer recording. TASCAM does it again with the US-1641.

TASCAM US-1641 Features:

* 16 inputs and 4 outputs
* 8 mic/line inputs with phantom power on front panel
* Two 1/4" balanced line/instrument inputs on front
* Four more balanced line inputs on rear panel
* Four line outputs
* Stereo S/PDIF digital I/O
* 16-channel MIDI I/O
* Separate monitor and headphone level controls
* Zero-latency hardware monitoring
* USB 2.0 interface
* Up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution without lowering the input/output count
* Supports Windows XP, Windows Vista 32 and Mac OSX 10.4 and higher
* Includes Steinberg Cubase LE 4 (Mac/PC)
* Supports Intel Mac and Windows Vista
* Includes TASCAM Continuous Velocity Piano (PC)

thats 14 analog inputs!!! for $399! wow.

*Any* $400 unit with multiple mic pres has cut corners. I've not heard this unit, but the Tascam mic pres I used in my DM-24 mixer were not bad at all. Not great, but definitely toward the neutral end of things. I would expect this unit to be competent but not stellar.

For $400 you don't get stellar, you get functional. So to rap this unit for cutting corners is not fair unless you are comparing it to eight channel pres like what Grace or Millenia have to offer.

As far as cutting corners, it seems to me like Tascam has cut them in the right place. Notice that the front panel is very simple and bare. No fancy displays or blinky lights, just a bare bones layout with inputs, switches and knobs. This tells me that they have quite possibly cut corners in the right places.

Back