New Laptop For Recording Advice Please

jpb123

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new laptop and would like a bit of advice.

I've got an Acer with an Intel I3 370M processor and 4 gb of ram I use Cubase and find that after 4 or 5 tracks of audio my system is struggling especially when I use a plugin that's quite heavy like izotop Ozone the asio time usage bar is full up !!

Is this just my computer not being able to cope or am I doing something wrong ??

I have seen an HP with an AMD A-10 processor and a Toshiba with an Intel 4th Gen I5 4200M. In your honest opinion would I notice a serious difference with these laptops compared to mine or will I be in the same boat with my issues ??

Any Help or advice would be really appreciated

Regards

John

Hi,

Yeah I'm on 512 with the buffer settings. It makes the latency quite high but any lower and I seem to get clicks and pops !!

It's a fast track ultra interface and is quite troublesome , if I didn't have to change my laptop I'd change the interface !!

You could likely find an improvement with a better processor, but...

4GB of RAM is pretty low for DAW work. I have 16GB and I suspect you'll find most people on HR have something in the 8 to 16GB range. Note that this is operating system dependent--XP couldn't go above 4 GB (actually a bit less) anyway.

Similarly, a lot of laptops have pretty slow hard disk drives--5400 rpm or less. The ability to read and write to disk at a high speed also makes a big difference to performance.

Finally, have a check of your system and see how much extra rubbish is running in background. Simply cleaning out the unnecessary stuff can help a lot.

Thanks for the tips.

I think I will upgrade the memory anyway but , I use a usb 2.0 external drive for recording to as my drive in the laptop is 5400rpm and seems slow to record to.

Thanks for the tips.

I think I will upgrade the memory anyway but , I use a usb 2.0 external drive for recording to as my drive in the laptop is 5400rpm and seems slow to record to.

These are the kind of tips and advice I need as I don't really want to have to buy a new laptop when I could use my Christmas money for things like an interface and mic etc :thumbs up:

Back