Netbook with Reaper

James K

Hi,
I'm getting a netbook in a few days (compaq mini cq10-500) and I was wondering if it would be able to run Reaper. I would only be working on one stereo track for mastering and not multitracking. I doubt I would use many plugins either.

Cheers
James

There are a few threads on the Reaper forums about using it on a netbook. The short answer is yes the netbook should be fine, especially if you're just mastering. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that you have a working USB interface and that there are no hiccups between it and your netbook.

the unit only supports 1gb of ram and that may or may or may not be a problem depending on how much resources win7 takes up.
kill any eye-candy you can.

I use a Toshiba NB-205 w/2gb ram (using either the built-in soundcard with asio4all or my digitech rp-355 pedal/usb interface) and a Keystation49usb keyboard and can easily do a dozen tracks with CAREFUL plugin use. Steppin up to 2gb of ram helped a LOT and I'm only running on XP. I have yet to find anything that wont run on my Toshiba.

You should be OK but you will have to do a lot of your own experimenting.

(BTW: my experiences are on the Reaper board)

I'm only going to be running one stereo track at once so I imagine 1GB will be okay. Also, would readyboost help? I could leave an SD card in all the time for windows to use as RAM.

Back