Need New DAW, PT's? Cakewalk? Sonar? Which way to go?

mrwillsi3

First i'll say I'm not totally new to DAW's, i used PT's LE8 for a while on my iMac a couple years back.
Haven't used it much lately but think its time to upgrade.

I recently bought a 2010ish Macbook Pro and discovered, hey LE8 isn't COMPATIBLE with Lion OS...wonderful.

So here's my situation...i'm open to all DAW's...i just am not up to date in the last 1-2 years as to who has done what. So suggestions are appreciated.

I'll be doing a lot of editing on my MBP...some recording but not like I'm trying to run a pro studio out of it. I want good sound quality without the INSANELY annoying high-frequency 'hum' i ALWAYS got from my M-box2.

I know that PT's is the industry standard and all but again...open to other options.

I'd also like something that i could use a control console with...last i checked PT's only allows THEIR control consoles to be used with their software (C24/D003 etc.)

Lastly, if it could work on both my MBP AND my iMac, that would be awesome. Then i could take my work mobile when needed AND come home and work on the same project in the studio. I don't have a ton of stuff on my iMac with LE 8 so if i had to change over to another DAW, i'd be ok with that.

Thoughts?

MBP...some recording but not like I'm trying to run a pro studio out of it. I want good sound quality without the INSANELY annoying high-frequency 'hum' i ALWAYS got from my M-box2.

Is it hum or hiss?
Chances are it's hiss from the low quality preamps, especially if this is the older blue and grey mbox2.

I know that PT's is the industry standard and all but again...open to other options.
I'm not even sure I'd say that anymore, but I get where you're coming from.

I'd also like something that i could use a control console with...last i checked PT's only allows THEIR control consoles to be used with their software (C24/D003 etc.)

That was never true.
There was a time when digidesign only allowed use of their qualified audio interfaces.
The digi 003 happens to be an interface with control capabilities built in, but you were always allowed to use mackie controls etc with Pro Tools.
The C24 was just a control surface (albeit with preamps and monitor routing), but it required you to have a separate audio interface.
Most places I saw them in had PT HD or a 002/003 rack somewhere.

More often than not, audio interfaces and control surfaces are two different things.
Somtimes, they are combined into one unit.

You can pretty much use any control surface with any daw.

Lastly, if it could work on both my MBP AND my iMac, that would be awesome. Then i could take my work mobile when needed AND come home and work on the same project in the studio. I don't have a ton of stuff on my iMac with LE 8 so if i had to change over to another DAW, i'd be ok with that.

Thoughts?
Download reaper and don't look back, unless it's to pay them. ;)
If you're thinking of upgrading your interface, take a look at tascam, presonus and focusrite.

Maybe a 002 or 003 could be had on the cheap, but IMO you're still paying over the odds for bells and whistles that most people don't use.
4 mics pres, 4 line ins, 8 over adat and 2 over spdif is just annoying, unless it happens to fit in with your plans, and a control surface isn't necessary. If you want one, fine, but it's not essential by any means, plus it's not portable.

Euphonix makes beautiful stuff (that i will own one day!!) but at a price.
On the more accessibly side of things, there's the Behringer BCF2000. Looks a smart job for the money.
If you like the idea of riding a fader for automation, and having transport, check out a faderport from presonus.

If you only need a few channels and you like the idea of working on the go,
look at a presonus audio box and a faderport.
As I said, the latter is optional.

Hope that helps.

Is it hum or hiss?
Chances are it's hiss from the low quality preamps, especially if this is the older blue and grey mbox2.

It was a hum, a very high pitched hum...when i'd move the USB cord around it would make it louder or softer, but never eliminated it...and yes ...it was the old blue and grey POS lol.

That was never true.
There was a time when digidesign only allowed use of their qualified audio interfaces.
The digi 003 happens to be an interface with control capabilities built in, but you were always allowed to use mackie controls etc with Pro Tools.
The C24 was just a control surface (albeit with preamps and monitor routing), but it required you to have a separate audio interface.
Most places I saw them in had PT HD or a 002/003 rack somewhere.

Well as i said I'm about a year or 2 out of date from all the new things that have come out lol. Last i heard others COULD be used with PT's as far as actual CONTROL boards, but certain features would not be available. I REALLY like things that have great ease of use...not only quality but...where i can get to basically anything i need quickly and with as little confusion as possible. I hate having to go to 15 different windows of crap just to get what i want...i like just pushing a button and boom...i can make the adjustments i want :)

When i last checked PTs had M, LE and HD...dont know if there are newer set ups or what with them now and I'm TOTALLY clueless as to what other DAW's offer as far as range of quality go (For example HD is better/more pro than LE).

More often than not, audio interfaces and control surfaces are two different things.
Somtimes, they are combined into one unit.

You can pretty much use any control surface with any daw.

Well the main ones i had looked into before were the 003 and C24, which had both ...i don't know what the quality of each of them were but...i knew they had both. Im tight for space so...something that incorporates both would be nice...if i'd be sacrificing too much quality though, id rather just get each one individually. Any suggestions?

Download reaper and don't look back, unless it's to pay them. ;)
If you're thinking of upgrading your interface, take a look at tascam, presonus and focusrite.

Any specific ones you'd recommend? I'm not gonna be recording a big band or anything...most just work from my keyboard...and have a couple of other inputs just incase, but probably won't be using them anytime soon lol...i'm working mostly solo at the moment...i just want the quality to be good.

Maybe a 002 or 003 could be had on the cheap, but IMO you're still paying over the odds for bells and whistles that most people don't use.
4 mics pres, 4 line ins, 8 over adat and 2 over spdif is just annoying, unless it happens to fit in with your plans, and a control surface isn't necessary. If you want one, fine, but it's not essential by any means, plus it's not portable.

Yeah, you're right...dont need ALL that...thats for sure....i'm really wanting something with good quality, small footprint but effective and affordable. As for a control surface, again I'm open to suggestions (other than the ones you gave) if you have any others...i'll look into what you listed below though...don't need something to fill the room but, hey i like buttons hahaha.

Euphonix makes beautiful stuff (that i will own one day!!) but at a price.
On the more accessibly side of things, there's the Behringer BCF2000. Looks a smart job for the money.
If you like the idea of riding a fader for automation, and having transport, check out a faderport from presonus.

I looked on craigslist near me...i see a guy has 3 of em up for sale for $400 total...thoughts? lol

If you only need a few channels and you like the idea of working on the go,
look at a presonus audio box and a faderport.
As I said, the latter is optional.

Hope that helps.

And yes this does help...let the hunt begin lol. Oh how i forgot how quickly this can all get so expensive...

Back