Need help with audio interfaces

Thanks ecc!

Makes perfect sense now! I'm looking for a used Tascam U122/144/125 on eBay as suggested by kcearl.
For sampling vinyl, would any one of these be better than the other? I'll also be plugging in my monitors and headphones if that makes any difference.

I see that the all use RCA...1/4 ouputs would be better...but it shouldnt matter

I see that the all use RCA...1/4 ouputs would be better...but it shouldnt matter

Honestly, I'll probably just go for the cheapest option available with the Tascams as a lot of people rate these interfaces, but I'm on a really tight budget. As long as the interface will work with the Maschine and turntable, whilst helping to prevent any cracks and pops I'll be happy.

Will I need anything else to make this work i.e. specific cables/jacks or a mixer (or is that unnecessary for a USB turntable)?

Sorry for all of the questions, just want to be really sure that I'm only buying what's necessary.

If he decides to record anything other than that deck they will do a better job of it...i have used the behri to try record through a mic and a guitar whilst on the road using a laptop and it was awful, for a few bucks more you get something that will manage something half decent, and provide many more input options

The tascam still budget, very budget...but it is a better choice in the long term

Just imho of course

As I said! The 202 is just a consumer line level conveter. But if you had the right pre amp/ high Z front end it would have made a decent job of voice and guitar. I have used one with a small mixer, also on the emulated output of an HT-20. An RME it is not, not even an NI KA6 but it is vastly better than onboard sound.
One thing is for damn sure, you won't find a guitar/ amp combination that gets close to the -83dB noise floor of the 202! The Ka6 IS rather better at -101dBFS but that cuts no ice for noisy gits!

Dave.

So, I've looked at all of the Tascam interfaces and found that the US-122 is probably best for me.

I only have a couple more questions - promise!
I want to know whether I'll be able to plug my speakers straight into the interface along with the TT, and when I'm not using the speakers, my headphones?

Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500
Headphones: Sennheiser HD215

Also, in an attempt to save some cash, I've been looking at cheaper USB turntables.
For sampling, any thoughts on turntables cheaper than the Numark? Or is that the cheapest average/good quality TT to expect?

Sorry guys for being a total noob!

No need for apologies, we were all total n00bs at some point. Headphones and speakers can be used at the same time, they have separate outputs...it also means you can use a non usb deck as the tascam has line inputs...the only thing is theres not much cheaper than the numarks usb deck..maybe you could score a TT200 for cheap, or a Stanton STR8-80, i think they may be a little better quality...i run Stanton T62's and theyre great for budget decks

I see youre posting on the NI forum...good resources and people there...just make sure you read maschines manual first ;)

So, I've looked at all of the Tascam interfaces and found that the US-122 is probably best for me.

I only have a couple more questions - promise!
I want to know whether I'll be able to plug my speakers straight into the interface along with the TT, and when I'm not using the speakers, my headphones?

Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500
Headphones: Sennheiser HD215

Also, in an attempt to save some cash, I've been looking at cheaper USB turntables.
For sampling, any thoughts on turntables cheaper than the Numark? Or is that the cheapest average/good quality TT to expect?

Sorry guys for being a total noob!
Thought you were using the Ariston TT and a pre amp? Better quality and less money, see, you don't need a usb TT if you have an interface.

The speakers should be ok (for now). I have dldd the manual and I assume you have the amplifier block that feeds them? If so you simply need to plug that into the line outs on the 122. If you don't have the amp you are stuck with headphones until you get something.

For cabling you are going to need RCA (phono) stereo pairs and mono 1/4" jack for line in, two singles (L&R). 5 pin DIN to DIN for MIDI i/o. I would also buy at least two RCA to jack adaptors. Do not pay a lot for wires. The cheapest tat you can find will sound just the same as $100 a mtr ripoffs. Go for decent "mechanical" quality but if in doubt use the money for MORE cables not prettier ones!

N.B. The Tascam sets up on a PC rather differently from most usb AIs. Download The Book and study the setup process. Ain't hard but needs to be done right.

Dave.

Back