Music Making with a Computer for Dummies

Exactly what I need

...at this point in building my home studio. I started the process about 3 weeks ago and have encountered, as should be expected, roadblocks and confusion about how to select the right computer (among countless other things but we'll leave those for now). This article was very helpful and I hope pt 2 is coming soon!

The keyboard issue is a highly region-specific thing. The EN-US Mac keyboard is basically identical in layout to a PC keyboard except for the function keys, modifier keys, and things like page-up/page-down. And you can always use a PC keyboard if you prefer it. The @ sign is shift-two on both Mac and PC keyboards over here. And so on.

As for copying and pasting files, Command-C, Command-V. Same as on a PC except different modifier key (command instead of control). Windows stole the keystrokes from the Mac platform way back in the '80s.

The Mac doesn't support the shift-Ins/shift-Del key combinations for that, I don't think. That said, you have to move your hand from the main part of the keyboard to use those combinations, so I'm really not sure why they even exist; they're much clumsier.

The Mac/PC article wasn't bad & posting these links is very good PR for Audiofanzine - we need to be seduced by what is offered that suits what we do - much like PC/Mac marketing.

I am just absorbing this site and suggested reading while wrestling with wires, an old, old, mackie 16 channel and my soundblaster soundcard, and power tracks pro audio to see if I can get a system off the ground before deciding to invest in i/o gear, etc. I am embarrassed at my ignorance but am frustrated enough with the mixer's multiple ports and knobs to ask the stupid question. How do I get the sound output from my soundblaster card to the mixer to play in my ear without it being included in the track I am currently laying down? Am I just too inexperienced for this site? I just ordered my "home recording for dummies" book and am waiting for its arrival. but I am also excited to get to the next stage. redudley3@gmail.com

Hey! You have posted an awesome post, which helps to choose a computer and also helps to creating good music on computer. I found this very helpful. Thanks.

Hi, I'm NOT a musician but a computer geek.
The first article is pretty basic so let me put my 2 cents:
Modern processors, CPU's, have cores and threads, a two core four threads CPU will be "read" by the operating system as 4 CPU's but won't be as efficient as a 4 cores 4 threads that's also "read" as 4 CPU's. Examples an Intel i3 is a two core four threads while the i7 is 4 cores 4 threads.
The ammount of Cache memory and Front Side Bus, FSB, speed will benefit the over all processing.
As for memory, the more the merrier, but if you match the FSB of the CPU with the FSB of the memory there won't be any delays on the transit of the information.
But remember, an 32 bit OS would only accept 4 GB of RAM, so go for a 64 Bit OS.
An finally the Hard Disk, SSD are the fastest kid on the town, and the more expensive. So you can get a 10,000 RPM SATA 2, 32 or 64 KB cache memory HD and get a pretty good performance.

I recently purchased sonar X1 essential and I'm just getting familiar with it so far I see great potential .
I have a Peavey Studiomix control surface that works well with the Daw but for some reason the mike input and the line in stopped working...tape in and outs work as well as the soundcard I/O's.
I'm thinking something inside the board is the culprit.I read the manual over and over but I can't find out what the problem is.any suggestions ?

I recently purchased sonar X1 essential and I'm just getting familiar with it so far I see great potential .
I have a Peavey Studiomix control surface that works well with the Daw but for some reason the mike input and the line in stopped working...tape in and outs work as well as the soundcard I/O's.
I'm thinking something inside the board is the culprit.I read the manual over and over but I can't find out what the problem is.any suggestions ?

Start this as a new thread, you will get more replies. People coming here think the subject is "Music Making with a Computer for Dummies"

Do you have for linux please?
Linux is a good platform. Very stable, and takes better advantage of resources - i.e. runs as fast with a little less meat under the hood, and has a lot of free software that may be lesser known, but is equally effective. A good example is Ubuntu Studio. It is setup with Video, Audio, and Publishing workstations. People wanting to make music videos without having to resort to using something ultra-basic like Windows Movie Maker, or something pro level that costs an arm and a leg, should check out uStudio. I have it installed to a high speed USB drive so I can take it with me. I even have Reaper installed through Wine (a Windows type translator). Not practical because of the extra latency, but better than nothing for quick editing from the usb on someone's computer when you're on the go. uStudio comes with Ardour daw, Audacity, qTractor (midi daw), LMMS daw, etc. All free.

The downside is, it's Linux. Most mainstream software is not ported to Linux, and sometimes getting a driver to work can be tricky. That's usually not a big issue because Ubuntu Studio already has everything, and it's completely setup. You can also run it from a live DVD. It's just not quite as user friendly as, say, Windows. But definitely worth checking out! Even if you only use it for the video portion for editing music or family videos, it's worth some of your time getting familiar with the installed and available packages (programs). When I start making and editing any kind of videos, I will use uStudio. Of course I will still use Reaper on my Windows computer for audio work.

I bought a laptop about 3 years ago to get started. It had only 4 GB ram.I have outgrown it. Now I am looking at a desktop, an i7, with 8 GB ram, and 1TB memory. I cant spend thousands of dollars. I think this will serve me just fine. Thoughts?

I bought a laptop about 3 years ago to get started. It had only 4 GB ram.I have outgrown it. Now I am looking at a desktop, an i7, with 8 GB ram, and 1TB memory. I cant spend thousands of dollars. I think this will serve me just fine. Thoughts?

Sounds good. I would upgrade to an SSD for OS and use the included HDD for recording projects.

What desktop are you looking at? Are there slots for adding an SSD drive? If not you can always use an external case.

Back